13 week old hens-sleeping arrangements

Grand Rapids mom

Hatching
Aug 31, 2020
I have 6 older hens-about 3 years old and just added 5 hens that are 13 weeks old now. I had a brooder in the storage 1/2 of my coop so that they had heat but were also near the older hens. The door to the outside was only on the older hens side so every day (once they were old enough) we carried the babies out into the chicken run that was separated down the middle so they were used to the older hens. We started letting them mingle and now they are all fine with each other. The problem is that at night all the older chickens go into the coop through the door (which is on an auto timer) When it’s time to go to bed and none of the younger ones do. We have to go out at dark & manually opened the door and force them in. We thought by putting them in the little door vs. our door we use they would learn but not so far. It’s been a few weeks now and we have to go out every night and put them in. They come out the door in the morning, but won’t go back in. Did I “ruin” them by playing chauffeur to them- will they ever go in on their own? I just got home and they are huddled up so I am going out to put them in. They are safe from predators but it’s going down to 67 tonight- should I let them spend a few nights outside before it gets colder hoping they will get it? Or is that too drafty for 13 week old hens? Putting them in for the night but wondering if anyone has suggestions. Thank you!

You know.. it closes at dusk but it’s not completely dark. I will override that and keep open tomorrow night to see what happens. It does pop open again briefly after the first close for any stragglers but maybe they just aren’t getting it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Other consideration is maybe they've tried going in a few times, and the hens wouldn't let them roost. Have you seen how they interact around dusk in the coop or the roost area? Try putting them in at dusk and watch what happens... possibly the hens chased them off a few times and the littles decided not to push the issue and stayed out after that.

i had the same problem. I have 2 old girls, added 8-young pullets, then 4 more younger pullets i got a couple weeks after i added the first 8. All fussing at bed time. The youngest getting kicked out.
My fix:
I put a partition wall to space the old girls from th rest. Then added an automatic light to come on at dusk for 20 minutes, enough time for all the pullets to get settled quickly.. i adjust the timer as daylight hours change.
Worked perfect! They settle right in without fuss.
After some weeks im going to remove the light and see how it goes.

Other consideration is maybe they've tried going in a few times, and the hens wouldn't let them roost. Have you seen how they interact around dusk in the coop or the roost area? Try putting them in at dusk and watch what happens... possibly the hens chased them off a few times and the littles decided not to push the issue and stayed out after that.
Thank you I will have to pay attention tonight when they go in. When I put them in the older hens don’t do anything, they basically move over and just observe but it’s possible they have fussed in the past as they were trying to go in- I’ve never seen them try. I appreciate it!

i had the same problem. I have 2 old girls, added 8-young pullets, then 4 more younger pullets i got a couple weeks after i added the first 8. All fussing at bed time. The youngest getting kicked out.
My fix:
I put a partition wall to space the old girls from th rest. Then added an automatic light to come on at dusk for 20 minutes, enough time for all the pullets to get settled quickly.. i adjust the timer as daylight hours change.
Worked perfect! They settle right in without fuss.
After some weeks im going to remove the light and see how it goes.
Thank you I’m glad to know I’m not the only one! :). I can see I will have to make it a point to observe them tonight and try to figure out how they are interacting at bedtime. They have been fine out in the run so I hadn’t really considered that was the issue. But I am new to keeping chickens as of a couple years ago.

P.S. I just noticed it says “hatching” under my post so I managed to do this wrong somehow- I thought I was posting under “behaviors”. I’m sorry and thank you for the answers in spite of that! 😊

P.S. I just noticed it says “hatching” under my post so I managed to do this wrong somehow- I thought I was posting under “behaviors”. I’m sorry and thank you for the answers in spite of that! 😊
No you didn't screw up. All new members are giving that description.
It will change when you post a certain amount.
They have many different types. GC

Back
Top Bottom