13 wk old polish acting lethargic, fluffed up, droopy wings and eyes, everything in the book.

Rooster_Tyranny

Songster
Sep 2, 2018
Utah
I'm a first time chicken owner and I've dreaded coming to this page especially so soon. Just now at 7:30 I let my chickens out and my WCB Polish has just turned around in behavior, she seems to have every sick sign in the book! Everything I mentioned in the title, plus she doesn't complain when I touch her, she only ate a little bit out of my hand, drank nothing, she has sight problems because of that crest so she can't jump up and roost at night (I've been meaning to cut her feathers but have been putting it off because of the stress it would give her), but all she seems to want to do is roost when I put her next to something to let her stand on. She's also the bottom of the pecking order, and all the other chickens seem fine. She also kinda "wobbles" on her feed sometimes, like shes rocking back and forth.

She's been vaccinated for Mareks and has been given medicated feed, right now I've been mixing layer mash and medicated starter/grower crumble because we're almost out of starter/grower and I want to slowly get them used to it. I know she's a bit young for layer mash but I thought mixing it with the starter/grower would be okay, is this diet causing the problem?

I don't know what to do, I'm thinking of separating her but I'm worried flock reintegration would be hard on her, she already gets picked on enough as it is. I'm also gonna get her some vitamins and electrodes, any certain brand you recommend? I'm sorry this post is all over the place. Any help would be really appreciated.

Corid probably is a good idea as Dawg53 recommended, in case she has been suffering from coccidiosis. Layer feed should not be given until they are laying. Chick grower feed is best for her, or you may also use Flock Raiser which has a little bigger size crumble, but is nearly identical to chick grower. Don’t use vitamins when on Corid, but hou may give some before or after using Corid. Poultry NutriDrench is pretty good, and can be given orally in drop form. Dosage is 2 ml daily for 4 to 6 pound chicken.

You need to continue with starter/grower crumbles until about 20 weeks old.
I recommend that your get her started on Corid right away.

Really? I'm not doubting you it's just some people say 14 weeks and others say 16. Do you think the layer feed has an effect on her situation?

I looked up what Corid is and it looks like it's coccidiosis treatment for calves? Do you think she has coccidiosis? Or is this like vitamins and electrodes? My dad went over to see her while I was in the shower and said she was by the food and walked right over to him when she saw him, so she's perking up a bit.

Corid probably is a good idea as Dawg53 recommended, in case she has been suffering from coccidiosis. Layer feed should not be given until they are laying. Chick grower feed is best for her, or you may also use Flock Raiser which has a little bigger size crumble, but is nearly identical to chick grower. Don’t use vitamins when on Corid, but hou may give some before or after using Corid. Poultry NutriDrench is pretty good, and can be given orally in drop form. Dosage is 2 ml daily for 4 to 6 pound chicken.

Thanks! I'll stop with the layer feed, I did feed her medicated feed for quite sometime, what's the chance of getting cocci when on medicated? Does Corid have any negative effects? I'm sorry if I seem skeptical I just want to be more sure on what she has before I start throwing antibiotics her way. Thanks so much though, I don't know what I would do without this forum.
Edit: I've looked up the symptoms of cocci and you're right, she does seem to have a lot of those symptoms, I'm going to watch for her poop before I decide to buy any antibiotics. I guess this means I have to separate her.

Corid is amprollium, mimics thiamine, and is not an antibiotic like some other treatments. It is very safe for all birds. Dosage is 2 tsp or 10 ml of liquid Corid, or 1 1/2 tsp of Corid powder per gallon of water, as their only source, for 5-7 days.
upload_2018-12-6_11-41-32.jpeg

upload_2018-12-6_11-41-8.jpeg

Treating for possible coccidiosis is only a start, since that is a common illness at her age. If more wobbling, or if limping, lameness, or droopy wings should occur, then it could be something like Mareks. Bullying with low pecking order birds can also occur. Keeping an eye on her crop to make sure that it is emptying overnight, and checking for any mites or lice would be good to do routinely.

I think she's dying. She's incredibly unconscious, hardly moves at all, even when you pick her up, both eyes closed. She almost fell over at one point and had to move herself to face the wall. Whatever it was I think I caught the symptoms too late. I have her in a box in my room. I don't know if I should cull her or not those she does seem very out of it.

Maybe there's a chance I'm wrong?

If you have the liquid Corid, give her a couple of drops into her beak with a dropper or syringe, but only if she is conscious enough to swallow. Repeat that twice a day. If you bought the powder, add 1 1/2 tsp to 2 tsp of water, and that is equal in strength.

If she dies, and I hope she does not, refrigerate her body in a plastic garbage bag, but don’t freeze it. Contact your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy. Here is a link with contacts:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom