13th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many chicks over here!!

I have a question about one though. It pipped sometime this morning, and now it has some sort of hard, crusty, foamy something coming out of the pip. I can’t see the chick moving, and I’m not sure what to do. Can anyone help? This is what the egg looks like-
9CF9590D-B320-480F-A1EE-E421AD575B70.jpeg

So many chicks over here!!

I have a question about one though. It pipped sometime this morning, and now it has some sort of hard, crusty, foamy something coming out of the pip. I can’t see the chick moving, and I’m not sure what to do. Can anyone help? This is what the egg looks like-
View attachment 3064466

This does looks uncharacteristically wet at the pip location but there isn't much that can be done before they have finished absorbing everything.

What incubator are you using? What was your humidity at through incubation? Have any chicks hatched?

This does looks uncharacteristically wet at the pip location but there isn't much that can be done before they have finished absorbing everything.

What incubator are you using? What was your humidity at through incubation? Have any chicks hatched?
It is a HovaBator. The humidity has been around 40-50 until lockdown, which was two nights ago, and it has now been around 70. Yes, more than half of the eggs have hatched, thirteen to be exact, all nice and healthy. It is officially day 20.

This egg was moving around and being normal up until this crusty foam emerged from it. I just hope the poor thing is okay.

It is a HovaBator. The humidity has been around 40-50 until lockdown, which was two nights ago, and it has now been around 70. Yes, more than half of the eggs have hatched, thirteen to be exact, all nice and healthy. It is officially day 20.

This egg was moving around and being normal up until this crusty foam emerged from it. I just hope the poor thing is okay.
It’s moving around now.

So it looks like alot were quitters after lockdown 😞. Most are hatched two more alive ones to go one pip the other is still moving in thw egg. I had one that looked to be shrink wrapped inside the egg. (Never seen this before. Opened to check and it took a couple last breaths but nothing I could do to many veins to open the membrane to save it. So sad. That kind of stuff is the bad part of hatching. I will have to post pics of these cuties though. So many unique colors we got out of the thw flock this year. Hubby even said he may have to build another coop because they are so cute... he is finally coming around to the chicken math side of things.. hehe
A lot of late quitters will look shrink wrapped.

So, last night I was getting nervous that my humidity was a little too high because I know when they pip it'll shoot up a bit. It was like 74% around 2am and I opened the incubator a few times just a crack to try and let the humidity out a little bit. I looked to dip a few percent and then when I would close it, it climbed right back up. I had my temp around 98.4. So, when I went to bed around 2 it was still around 74%. This morning at 8, it was 51%!! And my temp had somehow dropped to 94.7!!! I had one pip so I was scared to even open the bator a crack, so I syringed a little water, not much at all to start through the vent hole in the top. Now, it has skyrocketed back up to 79%. I adjusted the temp and it is slowing going back up. It's now 96. I don't know what to do, that humidity is way too high, right??? I don't know why the hell my temperature crashed either, that's really worrisome.
Scream GIF by Originals
The humidity is a bit high. They should be fine now though

Temps are more important than humidity for the chick to absorb the liquid in the egg.

If the eggs were shipped, shipping stress can cause the chick to not develop well and then not absorb the liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom