13th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
@casportpony - by pure chance, I may actually be relatively closely aligned with your hatchalong with 3 eggs, but a little early. However, one of the eggs is a tiny bantam - my small bantam eggs usually come out at day 18 (they'll be early) - the other 2 are bantam dad, medium hen... so.... we may have a semi-concurrent hatch?
Only ended up with one chick interestingly enough (usually I have near-perfect hatches). The little guy hatched 2 days before easter.

I am sick and not capable of counting accurately, but at least 8 have hatched and all the ones I can see without too much effort are pipped.

Do stored eggs take longer to hatch? Most of my own eggs, which were gathered within 3-4 days of setting, have been hatching but only one of the Easter Eggers, which were at least 5 days old when set and possibly as much as 10 days, are pipped, but not out yet.
Yes!

We're in a cold snap here too. I'm skipping the outside brooder for now and put a big cardboard box into service for a couple days in the house until it warms up again. Snow flakes have been flying and I don't think we'll get much accumulation, but the cars going by now have their windows scraped. We're out of propane also and didn't realize we were getting low so the house has been hovering in the 50s or so, but warm enough to be ok with just a heat plate for the new babies if we keep them near the incubators.
Even here in California, there was frost yesterday in the foothills near the coast range mountains!

Hello All!
It was a ruff hatch this year... We set a total of 56 eggs.. 20 in one, 18 each in 2 others. One of the incubators went cold on day 6, so I split the incubator with 20 in it Never tried transferring eggs before, and out of that batch only 2 of 9 hatched. 6 of 10 hatched in one, and 12 of 18 hatched in the other.. only 20 chicks from 56 set. We have always averaged 80 to 90 percent hatch rate... Oh well... Our residents still enjoyed the process.. Cheers!
It is wonderful that you do this every year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom