1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

14 days is too long to store turkey hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Arielle, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Found a study looking at hatchability of turkey eggs.

It compared eggs held for 4 days and 14 days. At 4 days, hatchability was 89% and at 14 days 69%.
    (Reported by the Univeristy of Saskatchewan http://www.poultryindustrycouncil.ca/pdfs/factsheets/fs_96.pdf

Definitely worth setting eggs to hatch every 7 days.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Good to know...I will be trying my hand at hatching them next year...will need another bator for hatching I guess!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I'd say that's fairly typical. The longer you hold the eggs the lower the hatch rate is going to be. I've hatched turkey eggs that were three weeks old and got a bit more than 50%. Normally though I prefer to keep them no longer than ten days and better still a week or less. When I take hatching eggs to the swaps they are always a week or less old so as to have the best possible chance of hatching.

4. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    I am lucky that I can fill a incubator in two days. My eggs are never more than two days old. It was not always like that. I have much better hatches now that I don't have to store them. I think in my heat, 14 days and I would have eggs explode.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by