14 week maran pullet can't keep leg under body

choctaw1955

Hatching
9 Years
May 24, 2010
I don't know what happened. She had an injury or illness when she was 8 weeks. Couldn't keep head up just kept rolling around on floor. Couldn't keep upright. I nursed her back to the point where she eats and gets around. But she can't walk right. Her left leg keeps rotating almost straight out. She can't roost she just sleeps in the corner under the others who are roosting and she gets pooped on. She eats normally, half flies, hobbles out with the rest of the group but finds a place and sits until she hobbles someplace else.. She is otherwise healthy. What should I do if anything.

Oh boy. that sounds like it could be a hip injury. Have you manipulated the leg and foot? No visual injury that you can see? Does the leg move at the knee joint? It almost sounds as thought he hip could be out of the socket........

I don't know if that is fixable....

Does she seem to be in pain? If she has a poor quality of life, you may need to cull......I am so sorry to mention that. Sitting on the ground, being pooped on isn't a real happy chicken life.......

It's so hard to tell if they're in pain or not - they hide it well.

I remember my vet telling me about dogs - mine has arthritis really bad - and when I said couldn't tell if she was in pain or not - he said dogs will hide their pain and a good way to tell - now remember - this is with dogs - that they normally pant and stuff when they're excited, or whatever -and if you touch the suspected sore spot, and it hurts, they'll stop panting. (and he promptly demonstrated by feeling her knee where it was swollen)

I know - not related - but wonder if there is something similar with chickens - if you could watch her for a while - when she thinks no one is looking including the other hens - does she let her guard down and act differently ? drooping or closing her eyes ? Is she getting sores from it being in an abnormal position ?

If it's a healed messed up hip - and it's not causing pain - other than the inconvenience of it sticking out she seems like she'd do fine other than being pooped on - is there somewhere you can make a spot for her where that won't happen ?

Otherwise - if you suspect she is in pain unfortunately I think the only thing you can do is cull.
sad.png

Last edited:
I made a special roost with chicken wire and a wider board so she could a least get off the floor edge, but she flops around until she gets to the edge the flies to floor and wobbles to the corner. There are 3 other corners she could go to and not get pooped on but she chooses that one. She runs / hobbles to the food bowl when I bring out treats and she flexes on other chickens that give her attitude, but the minute on her she falls back and wobbles away. Her leg moves ok when I move it. When I put it under her with the other leg, the moment she tries to walk it slips out almost back wards and straight, and she slips slides around. She only supports herself with the one leg a short time. Then has to sit/lay down. I don't care if she is handicapped, I just don't want her to be in pain, or sad. I can't tell. Some of the chickens come to her and lay down with her. I will try to video her and download if I can. Is that possible? Anyone have this experience?

I made a special roost with chicken wire and a wider board so she could a least get off the floor, but she flops around until she gets to the edge then flies to floor and wobbles to the corner. There are 3 other corners she could go to and not get pooped on but she chooses that one. She runs / hobbles to the food bowl when I bring out treats and she flexes on other chickens that give her attitude, but the minute they jump on her she falls back and wobbles away. Her leg moves ok when I move it. When I put it under her with the other leg, the moment she tries to walk it slips out almost back wards and straight, and she slip slides around. She only supports herself with the one leg a short time. Then has to sit/lay down. I don't care if she is handicapped, I just don't want her to be in pain, or sad. I can't tell. Some of the chickens come to her and lay down with her. I will try to video her and download if I can. Is that possible? Anyone have this experience?

Back
Top Bottom