dialuann

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2022
Hi!
My hen/rooster (I am unsure of the gender since she is only four months old, but it may be a hen), who is a Silkie-Turken-Showgirl, has been acting rather strange. When I opened up the chickens, I found her laying down in the middle of the coop. She usually sleeps on a roost with another Silkie hen, which, because they are Silkies and do not jump too high, is more lower to the ground than the other roosts poles, but it is high enough that if she did fall on her leg weird, she could get injured. When I closed them up, she was sleeping on the roost pole like normal.
I was worried she had fallen during the night and hurt her leg, so I immediately picked up her up from the spot she was in and went to go see if she could walk. She was wobbly, and couldn’t stand properly.
I gave her food and water, and kept an eye on her. For some part of the day, I kept her inside, and she ate and drank water. She started walking better, and was very much so alert. She made usual chicken sounds, and didn’t seem ill at all (if that was the case). Later on, however, when I took her outside, she started having walking issues again. I kept her around the house and away from the flock; for, I didn’t want them pecking on her, or stepping on her, since she couldn’t walk well. Even though she sat down most of the day, she remained aware. She ate a lot, and drank water. When it got darker outside, she didn’t try going to the coop, and remained in the same spot. I have two predator-proof baby chick tents/coops that we keep in the chicken coop, and one of them was unoccupied, so I kept her in there.
The next day, she was at her same state. She couldn’t walk at all, but was eating and drinking like normal. I put electrolytes in her water to keep her strength up. I did the same thing as the day before, and kept a close eye on her. To-day, she remains the same, and I am very worried for her. She doesn’t act ill, so I don’t think it is Marek’s disease. I don’t think she is egg bound (she has never laid an egg before, and she could still turn out to be a roo).
The thing that makes me really worried is the fact that she shakes a lot. It could be because she is scared, but I don’t know.
Please help her. I hope this wasn’t too much to read. She was fine a few days ago, and just suddenly she couldn’t walk. Both of her legs feel normal, too. I really love her, and I hate that this happened.

Attachments

• IMG_5584.jpeg
    IMG_5584.jpeg
    635.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_5583.jpeg
    IMG_5583.jpeg
    830.5 KB · Views: 24
Silkes are prone to vitamin deficiency. She needs vitamins, 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks. Any brand from the grocery store.

She doesn’t act ill, so I don’t think it is Marek’s disease. I don’t think she is egg bound (she has never laid an egg before, and she could still turn out to be a roo).

The thing that makes me really worried is the fact that she shakes a lot.
How old is she?

Can you get a photo of her left eye?

What are you feeding - looks to be fairly young - I'd make sure she's eating a nutritionally balanced chick starter or an all flock feed.

Do start her on vitamin therapy - give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with some egg to help with the uptake of E. You can find the vitamins at Walmart, CVS, etc. Just pop the pills into her beak.

The shaking of the leg is worrisome, that sounds neurological. It very well could be Marek's disease you are dealing with. The disease is complex and a lot of the time birds will eat/drink very well but are not able to move about. There are 4 different forms of Marek's and each one affects a different system of the body.

If she's unable to get up, she's going to become soiled, so keep her clean. She may benefit from being placed in a sling for monitored periods of time throughout the day.

1702581216400.png
1702581233015.png

1702581462247.png
1702581472841.png

How old is she?

What are you feeding - looks to be fairly young - I'd make sure she's eating a nutritionally balanced chick starter or an all flock feed.

Do start her on vitamin therapy - give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with some egg to help with the uptake of E. You can find the vitamins at Walmart, CVS, etc. Just pop the pills into her beak.

The shaking of the leg is worrisome, that sounds neurological. It very well could be Marek's disease you are dealing with. The disease is complex and a lot of the time birds will eat/drink very well but are not able to move about. There are 4 different forms of Marek's and each one affects a different system of the body.

If she's unable to get up, she's going to become soiled, so keep her clean. She may benefit from being placed in a sling for monitored periods of time throughout the day.

View attachment 3705451View attachment 3705452

View attachment 3705455View attachment 3705457

Completely agree with Wyorp Rock. 4 month old is typically when Marek's disease starts to affect young chickens. Vitamin E and B-Complex is the best to help nerve problems, although there's no cure for Marek's disease. I tried a few herbs to treat Marek's disease in my flock. Baikal Skullcap combining with Oregano seems to help them survive longer, but it still doesn't save them from cancer development.

Hi!
She is four months old, being born in August. She still has a baby chick chirp.
We feed them 6 Grain Poultry Scratch feed.
We plan to give her eggs to-day. We will get some vitamins.
Thank you! I will look into a sling for her. I think that will be helpful!

How old is she?

View attachment 3705451View attachment 3705452

View attachment 3705455View attachment 3705457
Here’s the picture of her left eye!

Attachments

• IMG_9081.jpeg
    IMG_9081.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9082.jpeg
    IMG_9082.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 24

Back
Top Bottom