14 week old BR pullet scalped by the flock - please help - I'm worried

hugs.gif

Quote:
Shaggysgirl, thanks so much! I'll do that... I'm so worried about canniblism right now that I have a head ache! I'm worried I'm going to go out there and more will be like she was. I've never seen anything like it, it was like a horror movie. She was upright and walking, but had no skin on her head and neck. It was awful... I appreciate your input and will keep an eye on the rest of them.

Ouch....that must have been a horrible sight.
hugs.gif

I hope all goes well from now on for you!

First of all I am sorry about the lost one
sad.png
it's never easy to loose a bird. My guess was gonna be a space issue but seeing as you have more then enough space my second guess is that there was something wrong with her, the flock will always cull the weak link. I would just keep an eye on them closely for a few days and if you don't see any more issues I don't think you have to worry. If you do notice an aggressive one Isolate it for about a week and reintroduce it to see if it is still showing signs of aggression. When I first started out we had a similar issue, before we could cull the hen had passed from the injuries.

Oh, I am so sorry! I can only imagine your sadness.
hugs.gif

As for what I know see if anything can be improved or that could help:
Do they have plenty of room and things to distract them from picking at each other? A well balanced diet also supposedly helps. If all this is already being done then it may be an isolated instance (her being a loner or disabled).

There is plenty of information about space per chicken and keeping them active that helps prevent or stop cannibalism. My plan is to have toys (hanging pie pans and CD discs, big shiny bell, tree limbs, a box, etc.) and a swing to entertain them when we are at work. They will be allowed to range once we are home. I hope its good enough to avoid this from happening, sigh.

I'm with all y'all... thanks so much for the posts!! I like to think I'm a pretty good chicken mama, but I love the idea of hanging toys and such. I have an old ladder in the run, and the run floor is sand so there's endless scratching. I have them all out free-ranging right now and they seem fine. I'm hoping it was an isolated incident!
fl.gif

P.S. her name was Louise... and I am sad we had to put her down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom