14 week old leghorn pullet digging around in nesting box

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
okay, pretty much the title. Pip, who’s 14 weeks and 4 days old, has been scratching around in the nesting boxes for a few days now. When I go to collect the eggs ( all from the older chickens ), she’ll be in one and will scratch around for a good couple of minutes if I don’t interrupt her to get the eggs. What is she doing? I figured it was a little too early for her to even start thinking about laying.

Looks like she's practicing nesting. When I put fake eggs in my boxes mine would even practice sitting on the egg. LOL!
oh, really? i never knew they’d do that. there was a golf ball and an egg in there today but she wasn’t paying attention to them; just scratching around.
but i guess this also makes more sense now:
CE55222D-6DC9-4BF8-B200-89C5F3358726.jpeg

i thought it was weird pip was in the box laying down and mimzy was standing at the entrance

She's nosy! :lol: Normal inquisitive leghorn behavior. The first few weeks mine started laying if I did not collect eggs early they would be buried in the bedding and I'd have to dig through it trying to find all the eggs. Now they've settled down and have a nest wallowed out with out scattering everything around thankfully.😅
I never wanted leghorns but my spouse wanted white eggs "like out the grocery store" so I got them and I am glad I did. The quirky flighty nature that most people don't like about them actually is what i love most about them. They're weirdos like me.:lau

She's nosy! :lol: Normal inquisitive leghorn behavior. The first few weeks mine started laying if I did not collect eggs early they would be buried in the bedding and I'd have to dig through it trying to find all the eggs. Now they've settled down and have a nest wallowed out with out scattering everything around thankfully.😅
I never wanted leghorns but my spouse wanted white eggs "like out the grocery store" so I got them and I am glad I did. The quirky flighty nature that most people don't like about them actually is what i love most about them. They're weirdos like me.:lau
yeah, the only reason i got leghorns is because my mom hates brown eggs. says they taste different, idk. i like all chickens, but i really wouldn’t put leghorns on the favorite list lol. im more of a barred rock or brahma kind of person

yeah, the only reason i got leghorns is because my mom hates brown eggs. says they taste different, idk. i like all chickens, but i really wouldn’t put leghorns on the favorite list lol. im more of a barred rock or brahma kind of person
Hahaha, my husband said the brown ones tasted too rich. So I guess he'd rather poor tasting eggs???🙄 Haha!

Back
Top Bottom