14-week-old possible leg injury?

And the support on this site? Unbelievable!! I usually don't do much on social media because of snarky people; but this place, these people, truly a blessing. ❤ I hope to someday have HALF the knowledge and strength you have so that I can understand how to make the best decisions when hard times happen. Thank you!
"Snarky people" aren't allowed on BYC. Literally, BYC rules created by the site owner (@Nifty-Chicken ), and enforced by the BYC moderators as well as every single member on this site deters such behaviors. Certainly discussions and disagreements are allowed, and if a person posts incorrect information, they will nearly always soon be corrected by someone more knowledgeable. But if a member or thread gets too argumentative or otherwise out of hand, there is a "report" button on every single post of every single thread. Any BYC member can report a problematic post, and a moderator will determine how to handle the situation. I don't know often the report button is used, but I'm guessing not all that often, because members that make snarky comments either quickly fall into line, or they go away.

You will love it here. The support from other members is yes incredible, and so is the vast amount of knowledge on all the various forums. Welcome to BYC!🙂

"Snarky people" aren't allowed on BYC. Literally, BYC rules created by the site owner (@Nifty-Chicken ), and enforced by the BYC moderators as well as every single member on this site deters such behaviors. Certainly discussions and disagreements are allowed, and if a person posts incorrect information, they will nearly always soon be corrected by someone more knowledgeable. But if a member or thread gets too argumentative or otherwise out of hand, there is a "report" button on every single post of every single thread. Any BYC member can report a problematic post, and a moderator will determine how to handle the situation. I don't know often the report button is used, but I'm guessing not all that often, because members that make snarky comments either quickly fall into line, or they go away.

You will love it here. The support from other members is yes incredible, and so is the vast amount of knowledge on all the various forums. Welcome to BYC!🙂
Thank you! It's good to know that snarkiness is not allowed. 😊

My little Gimpy has been on the Vitamin B complex for 2 day. (She will get her 3rd dose tonight.) This morning I went to take her out by the other girls, and her one eye wouldn't open right away. I held her for a little bit and talked to her while I tried to examine her eye, looking for drainage or any abnormality. I couldn't see anything. I set her down, and then I knew something was wrong. She started to tip over like she has no balance. I held her up right to see if she could gain her footing, but she could not. I gently picked her up and brought her back to her spot in the garage. I gave her some fresh water with Poultry Cell while holding her. (I hadn't given her any poultry cell since the day before yesterday.) She didn't want to drink at first, but then she drank and drank and drank. I carefully set her down and got her in a comfy position within reach of her food and water. I'm not sure if she got dehydrated yesterday? Or maybe whatever this is is just progressing. She seemed to be getting stronger the past couple of days. She was eating very well (never showed an interest to scrambled eggs or dandelion greens). 😞 We have to run some errands. I will post an update a bit late. Hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day!

My little Gimpy has been on the Vitamin B complex for 2 day. (She will get her 3rd dose tonight.) This morning I went to take her out by the other girls, and her one eye wouldn't open right away. I held her for a little bit and talked to her while I tried to examine her eye, looking for drainage or any abnormality. I couldn't see anything. I set her down, and then I knew something was wrong. She started to tip over like she has no balance. I held her up right to see if she could gain her footing, but she could not. I gently picked her up and brought her back to her spot in the garage. I gave her some fresh water with Poultry Cell while holding her. (I hadn't given her any poultry cell since the day before yesterday.) She didn't want to drink at first, but then she drank and drank and drank. I carefully set her down and got her in a comfy position within reach of her food and water. I'm not sure if she got dehydrated yesterday? Or maybe whatever this is is just progressing. She seemed to be getting stronger the past couple of days. She was eating very well (never showed an interest to scrambled eggs or dandelion greens). 😞 We have to run some errands. I will post an update a bit late. Hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day!
I'm so sorry. I have too little experience to offer except maybe adding electrolytes to her water. (You may be able to pick up Rooster Booster with vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics, or try a diy electrolyte recipe found online.) Continuing to hope!

Unfortunately I still think that Mareks could be the reason she is having those symptoms. Time will tell, although I hope that it is not Mareks. Some threads I have read, chickens can have a closed eye along with other symptoms that can turn out to be Mareks, when a necropsy is done by the state vet lab. I don’t know if you have seen a few of the good links to read about Mareks, so here are a couple:
https://extension.psu.edu/mareks-disease-in-chickens

https://vetmedbiosci.colostate.edu/vdl/colorado-avian-health-program/mareks-disease/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Thank you for the links. I will read them - hopefully I get a little bit more clarification on Mareks since I don't quite have a handle on what I've read the past few weeks. Sounds like it can be confusing, tho, since the symptoms can vary significantly. She doesn't want to drink anything now. And she's keeping both eyes closed while laying in my lap. She also has her raspiness back...she sounds like she's snoring. I can't stop crying. I don't think I'm the person for this chicken life. As much joy as they bring me, this is wrecking me. I'm so glad my kids are not like me. They have a love and respect of animals, but they also have a healthy understanding of death. So thankful for that.
Unfortunately I still think that Mareks could be the reason she is having those symptoms. Time will tell, although I hope that it is not Mareks. Some threads I have read, chickens can have a closed eye along with other symptoms that can turn out to be Mareks, when a necropsy is done by the state vet lab. I don’t know if you have seen a few of the good links to read about Mareks, so here are a couple:

https://vetmedbiosci.colostate.edu/vdl/colorado-avian-health-program/mareks-disease/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I'm so sorry. I have too little experience to offer except maybe adding electrolytes to her water. (You may be able to pick up Rooster Booster with vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics, or try a diy electrolyte recipe found online.) Continuing to hope!
Thank you for your thoughts and well wishes. ❤❤ I will give her electrolytes f I can get her to drink anything. She's had rooster booster in her feed, but she has not eaten today. 😞

It hurts so much to be unable to ease their suffering and to be unable to heal them. After I lost my sweetest girl - the one who was lame and yet came running to me just to sit on my feet - I cried a lot. And still feel grieved when I don't see her in the run. I, and I'm cetain so many others, understand how you feel, pages of emotions spoken through tears.

Keeping you and little Gimpy in my thoughts and prayers. I do believe God sees your little chicken.

Wow... In one article (by Nambroth), I finally found a couple of answers that I had been searching for! So informative! Thank you again!
It hurts so much to be unable to ease their suffering and to be unable to heal them. After I lost my sweetest girl - the one who was lame and yet came running to me just to sit on my feet - I cried a lot. And still feel grieved when I don't see her in the run. I, and I'm cetain so many others, understand how you feel, pages of emotions spoken through tears.

Keeping you and little Gimpy in my thoughts and prayers. I do believe God sees your little chicken.

Back
Top Bottom