14 week old silkies- gender?

Jacobt

Songster
7 Years
Jun 18, 2014
I think I’ve got one roo and one hen. What do you think? They’re 14 weeks old, no crows yet. The grey one (suspected rooster) is the smallest chicken I have, which seems weird if it’s a roo. 6D35C545-8359-442F-8DF0-CFBF7E0851F1.jpeg 18575009-20DA-4F0C-B86C-E199854DC1DD.jpeg AB4B5CE5-D283-495B-89C4-5A96512F3FA9.jpeg D78F3E1E-1EC0-4A78-93EA-708CC70C4F0A.jpeg 0FCA9F61-81FB-4837-B30E-D83ADDA5F441.jpeg

The silkie has a single comb, which is probably why you think he might be a roo. This is not a normal silkie comb so I wouldn’t recommend breeding and selling the offspring. :)
They are cute though.
wait until they are older as silkies are almost impossible to sex until they crow or you get an egg.

The silkie has a single comb, which is probably why you think he might be a roo. This is not a normal silkie comb so I wouldn’t recommend breeding and selling the offspring. :)
They are cute though.
wait until they are older as silkies are almost impossible to sex until they crow or you get an egg.
I was wondering if something was off about him/her’s comb! My other silkie has basically no visible comb which is why I assumed she was a girl. Still hoping the grey ones a girl too :) do you know at about what age a silkie would crow at? Thanks for your help!

I was wondering if something was off about him/her’s comb! My other silkie has basically no visible comb which is why I assumed she was a girl. Still hoping the grey ones a girl too :) do you know at about what age a silkie would crow at? Thanks for your help!
No problem! :)
I’m pretty sure they usually crow from 5-8 months but I’m not a silkie expert. I think @Overo Mare might be able to answer this.

14 weeks? These are both almost definitely pullets. I'd expect more comb development in the one with the proper comb if they were male, and both a larger comb and wattles in the single comb one if they were male. As an example, I had a runty male with a single comb, but here's what he looked like younger than yours:

P1080219.JPG

He's the one in the middle. The other three are pullets.

I love the grey color! I sadly couldn’t get a grey because the hatchery was sold out. I got a blue, white, and assorted which I think is partridge. :)
The grey one is the sweetest! And so tiny compared to my other chickens. I’ve always wanted a partridge one, they’re so cool looking. Here’s a white one I had a few years back :) 70C54D7C-FD0F-4EED-B515-03A0DBCE7F17.jpeg

14 weeks? These are both almost definitely pullets. I'd expect more comb development in the one with the proper comb if they were male, and both a larger comb and wattles in the single comb one if they were male. As an example, I had a runty male with a single comb, but here's what he looked like younger than yours:

View attachment 2718266

He's the one in the middle. The other three are pullets.
Wow, that would be great news! It would mean I got 4/4 females on straight run chicks, I wasn’t expecting that! Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom