!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren't trying to kill or hurt their chickens. How are they supposed to learn and get experience if they don't do it in the first place? 4 years ago I didn't know the first thing about raising chickens, and I've learned so much through research and experience. I've made a lot of mistakes; some of which caused serious injury and death. I have asked a lot of stupid questions. But I have learned from my mistakes and stupid questions. People can do as much research as possible, but they will still screw up at some points, just as I did.

They are doing the best they can and should be helped and supported.

Yea, I would say use an ounce of common sense. Lol
When you buy a kitten at the per store for the first time, do you buy 50??? 50 kittens???

Why are people who have never owned chickens before buying extremely rare Deathlayers? Because they have a cool name? That have only been in the USA for a couple of years and die at the drop of a hat?? Not even many experienced breeders can raise them successfully.

If people can’t accept criticism then that’s your personality fault. Work on that one.

When you buy a kitten at the per store for the first time, do you buy 50??? 50 kittens???

Why are people who have never owned chickens before buying extremely rare Deathlayers? Because they have a cool name? That have only been in the USA for a couple of years and die at the drop of a hat?? Not even many experienced breeders can raise them successfully.

If people can’t accept criticism then that’s your personality fault. Work on that one.
I have to say, chickens are flock birds. Your point about buying kittens is not the same because you can have 1 cat, it’ll be fine, but you can’t have 1 chicken. They’re flock birds. Personally 50 does sound like a lot (I have 15) I understand your point, but your tone seems to be a little rude. Most people on here know at least a little about chickens. Otherwise, why would they come to this site? Please understand that I’m not trying to be rude, I just don’t want others to be hurt.

People do use common sense. It isn’t always correct.
I’ve never gotten a kitten at a pet store so maybe people do. We used to have 25+ cats.
When people order eggs for hatching sometimes there is an extremely high minimum, or maybe they couldn’t get less in their area.

I have to say, chickens are flock birds. Your point about buying kittens is not the same because you can have 1 cat, it’ll be fine, but you can’t have 1 chicken. They’re flock birds. Personally 50 does sound like a lot (I have 15) I understand your point, but your tone seems to be a little rude. Most people on here know at least a little about chickens. Otherwise, why would they come to this site? Please understand that I’m not trying to be rude, I just don’t want others to be hurt.
Exactly, chickens are nothing like kittens

Then, If you’ve been a cat owner you know the difference between a common alley cat and raising Persian cats which I have also done. Persian cats are harder to raise and I know that from breeding them and selling them.

The same is true for rare bird breeds. Why are people buying them on here?

If people are insulted by the truth again that’s your personality flaw. If you want to call me a troll go ahead I have very thick skin.

Hey, @Davethebirdman! I hope you're doing well! :hugs
Thank you for stopping by at BYC! I understand where you're coming from - if, for example, you bought 50 chickens, and only had 5 sqft of land to keep them on - that obviously wouldn't be good, and I think the majority of us can agree that you should probably wait to buy those chickens when you have enough room. :)
As @Lemon-Drop mentioned, while you might buy 1 cat, it's actually worse for the chicken to only keep one - they're flock animals! I don't think it's fair for the chickens - or the cats, for the matter - to define them as the same animal - because they aren't. Each animal on this planet is unique in their own ways. They have their own personalities, own actions, and own personal needs.
Here on BYC, we strive to learn and grow as we raise our chickens. There are all sorts of people on here - those who have been keeping chickens for their entire life, as well as those who are just beginning to learn about them. In this wonderful community, we build friendships, all tied around one passion - taking care of chickens!
I know countless people here that treat their chickens like their own children - and if not that, they care for them in ways so that each chicken has the best life possible.
I've seen first hand on how much wisdom people here have to offer - we are not all beginners, many extremely experienced - but despite whatever level of experience we have in our journey with chickens, everyone strives to help each other in every way that they can, be it how to raise chicks to how to build a coop!
I'm open to hear your ideas, but let's try to share our opinions with grace, kindness, and respectfulness!
As some of the Terms and Rules say:
  • Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.
  • Respect the community Team (moderators and administrators). They dedicate LOTS of volunteer time keeping the community running smoothly.
  • Be nice to newcomers and help them feel welcome.
  • Respect that people may have a different political, religious, philosophical and cultural background than you.
  • Be very descriptive in the subjects of your new topics and try to stay on topic as you post. Example: do not say "HELP ME!", but instead say "I'm having a problem with xxx yyy and could use some help"
  • Have fun and learn!
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you have a lovely day! :hugs

Don’t let anybody use it for cockfighting!
People don’t generally just buy any old rooster for cockfighting. Meat? Sure. But not every rooster can have a flock of his own. Cockfighters don’t generally want just any old layer rooster which is what most beginners end up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom