!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davethebirdman

Chirping
Mar 12, 2021
Pluto
As a bird lover with a lifetime of experience raising a variety of birds, I am saddened, shocked, dismayed, even angered by the overwhelming amount of people raising birds with little to no experience practically killing these helpless animals while you learn and experiment about raising birds.

1.) Please do no let chicks away from access to a light bulb. They need one on 24/7 and should never be away from accessing it whenever they need warmth. They shouldn’t be out of their box or tub where they need to always be for their safety.

2.) Chicks should never be raised alone or any bird. If this happens, immediately buy another one so they are not alone! They are very social babies who need companions!

3.) If you have never raised birds before, why 50? Why?????? I am shocked at the amount of people with no experience raising or hatching a ton of birds they don’t know how to care for. Poor judgment and negligent! Raise 2 or 4 if you have no experience. Learn!
If you end up with a rooster, be sure and re-home it somewhere safe and loving. Don’t let anybody use it for cockfighting! That is illegal in all 50 states!

4.) If you don’t have a clue what you are doing, get advice and use common sense. Are you as careless with your cat or dog? No, of course not! Show these birds love! ❤️

People on here try to get advice and then people like you just berate them and judge them without offering any actual advice besides getting a goldfish instead or getting rid of their birds because they're a novice.

People on here believe it or not, do care for their birds. If they didn't, why would they bother having an account on here?

Everyone was a novice at one time, even you. Not everyone is able to start out with a small number of birds. Not everyone has people willing to split hatchery minimums or a feedstores that sells chicks within a reasonable driving distance.

Not everyone can just go out and buy 2 or 3 eggs to learn how to incubate and raise a different species.

People are trying their best.

Buy some books or look at Youtube videos.
Some people are also just not bird people and there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone can do everything or has the same talents. I’ve never been a horse person and my cousin is a horse person. She’s always had horses since she was a child. I’ve always had birds. If it doesn’t work out for you no matter what you do and they keep dying or mostly dying etc etc. Try fish. Try a rat. Try a snake.

Just as useful as other references, more useful perhaps, because (unlike a book or a youtube video) you get live guidance.

Vintage replied how I was going to. Youtube videos and reference books are fine, but this site is interactive. And that is incredibly helpful for newbies.

If you are so adamantly against people asking questions and trying to expand their knowledge and care the best they can for their animals, I would offer you an unsolicited suggestion: stay out of those threads. It is literally that simple.

What your initial post, and subsequent posts, are doing is an attempt to shame people for asking questions you consider to be "common sense". So what is going to happen? A new bird owner is NOT going to ask these questions and the birds will suffer for it, the exact opposite of what you claim to want.

So, no longer addressing the OP: For any beginner/novice/intermediate/or even experienced bird owner out there - please continue using this site the way it was intended. Ask the question whether it is a simple one you feel you should know the answer to or not. I am a novice myself and I have found the constructive, kind members here to be a wealth of knowledge and compassion. Do not let a negative troll keep you from getting the answers you need :thumbsup

Some people are also just not bird people and there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone can do everything or has the same talents. I’ve never been a horse person and my cousin is a horse person. She’s always had horses since she was a child. I’ve always had birds. If it doesn’t work out for you no matter what you do and they keep dying or mostly dying etc etc. Try fish. Try a rat. Try a snake.
Try the random ramblings forum.

We've received a flood of reports on this thread and have closed it while our team reviews and takes action (removing posts, warning people that are breaking our rules, etc.) where needed.

While this thread is locked, it will give everyone an opportunity to read this:

We need peeps to do 2 things for us to keep it open:
  1. Try to have thick-skins. If you don't like something, try your best to just move past it.
  2. Only post things that are helpful, friendly, and appropriate. If you break our rules, you may get blocked from this thread, or even blocked from accessing BYC.

A Reminder Of Our Rules:

We require all our members to remain civil, friendly, and respectful in ALL their public interactions. If we notice you are breaking this rule (to which you agreed when signing up for BYC), we'll need to issue a warning and even potentially remove your access to our community.

Also, a reminder on best-practices:
  1. Again, if you see something that bothers you, try to have a thick skin and move past it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  2. If a post breaks our rules, report it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  3. Be friendly and supportive. Avoid posts, etc., that will cause contention. Our team will determine, at our discretion, what we feel is and isn't appropriate, so it's best to err on the side of caution and stay away from anything that might be interpreted as contentious, trolling, or otherwise breaking our rules.
Our AMAZING team is putting in a LOT of time and effort to keep things running smoothly. Please help make their jobs easier! (because at some point, the amount of work to keep this open won't be worth the time / stress to our incredible moderators).

Thanks again to all those that follow our rules and play nice!

I think most inexperienced people who are on here, are here to seek advice/wisdom/counsel from those more experienced. People with a lifetime of bird experience were novices at one point, we all start somewhere. In this day and age, it is not as prevalent to grow up around poultry or have a fundamental knowledge of bird rearing passed down through family.

People live and learn. I see many on here asking and receiving constructive advice, while many others are waiting for their chance to pounce with criticism and patronizing. C'est la vie, I suppose.

Your post has some very valid points, but the take away for many will not be the constructive advice.

Of course, the hatcheries are selling lots of quail eggs 50 at a time because they are a business just trying to make as much money as they can. It doesn’t mean it’s right. They shouldn’t be allowed to sell that many eggs or chicks to novice buyers. Look online at family farm and private sellers. I’m against these large commercial poultry raisers practices anyway. There are some farms in my area that offer classes on poultry raising as well.
Then kudos to you for having that all avaliable. But not everyone does. Are they supposed to just lose out and not have birds because private breeders won't ship to their area and don't have anyone else with experience nearby that can physically meet up and help them?

So, you’re saying to all the newbies out there; “don’t ask questions, just use common sense! If your birds die, you suck, give up and get a snake!” ???? This site is designed for new people and experienced alike, to ask questions and learn. If someone makes a mistake, it is our job here to offer guidance, help them figure out what they did wrong, so they can be better poultry owners in the future. Maybe, but this is just my thinking, maybe you should go offer people advice, write articles on bird care, and answer questions, instead of telling everyone what NOT to do.
😉

The point of this forum, as I see it, is a communal meeting of the minds. Especially useful for those starting out. Just as useful as other references, more useful perhaps, because (unlike a book or a youtube video) you get live guidance. Real time responses to questions. If you aren't in the market to dole out friendly advice, why peruse the threads of newcomers? To upset yourself?

Your ranting is unsolicited. No one asked for you to take on the role of reality police, it's not your place to tell others what they should raise based on your very limited perspective.

What you think or feel is irrelevant. The only point of relevance and my primary concerns are animal rights, animal protection and conservation, in this case birds.
If that truly is the case, then you should do whatever you can to HELP those people who seek help, AND make sure your tone is one that encourages them to continue to seek help...

The people you are trying to reach are either not on this site, or you're reaching them too late (i.e after they've started hatching). You'll just end up scaring them away before they are able to gain the knowledge they came for! That defeats the purpose since the birds will be worse of after your contribution, than what have would been the case if you hadn't joined this forum in the first place... (please - let that sink in - if your heart is in the right place, like you claim, then it will hurt, but the birds will be way better of if it does sink in!)

Not everyone should have animals, and obviously many birds suffer from it, but this is not the place to vent your anger, sarcasm, disrespect etc.

I'm happy that this forum exists. Both for myself (there is a limit as to how much books and youtube can teach&prepare you) and for others (both those who discovered too late that they need help, and those who use it for part of their learning prior to getting birds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom