Ended 14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along—National Poultry Day

This is the little pullet that made me fall in love with chickens.
1679240892076.jpeg

I absolutely find a sense of peace around my chickens. From watching the babies hatch, then scurry around the brooder as they grow, and now into a new phase of laying us eggs to provide food for the family, pest control in the garden, and entertainment, to our first broody sitting on eggs. I enjoy every moment.

Also love teaching others about the health benefits of eggs from chickens raised outside of factories. Can’t wait for a bigger property to add ducks and turkeys to our lovely group!

A big thank you to the BYC members that make poultry keeping easier for so many people. 😊

They mean so much to me! I have an anxiety disorder and am impacted by seasonal depression every year. My birds are not only quite calming to watch and simply be around, but they give me a reason to get out of bed every day, a reason to go outside and get some fresh air, a reason to remain active and healthy, a reason to be excited for tomorrow, heck, even simply a reason to smile and laugh every day with their antics. They keep my mind sharp as I read up on genetics, plan out potential crosses for future hatches, and figure out what varieties would be best to bring in to meet certain goals. They are integral as I strive toward less reliance on processed foods and commercial farms in my life. They inspire me to always do better when it comes to their care, and with everything I do in life. Most importantly, they just make me happy! :D

Wynne and Mavis.jpg

I love my chickens because not only do they provide me with delicious eggs, they double as my emotional support animals, and they keep me grounded. I know they're not judging me if I go out there and just need a hug. I can tell them everything that's bothering me, and they'll jump on my lap and comfort me. During the covid pandemic, I don't know what I would've done without them. They truly are my friends.
IMG_0795.JPG

Special thanks to Goldilocks, the model in the photo. :p

IMG_20230128_143426799 (2).jpg

I don't know why I've always wanted chickens, but to own them, including owning a crowing rooster, was a lifelong ambition for me -- an ambition I clung to through nearly two decades of living in places where I wasn't allowed to have them. I treasure their eggs, their personalities, their beauty, the prospect of breeding up my flock over the generations, and, yes, the crowing. Raising my own food from egg to table is tremendously satisfying, but just having the chickens is a joy unto itself.

Back
Top Bottom