14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I placed my eggs in lockdown this morning. I have 6 out of 6 deathlayers and 3 out of 6 black copper marans. I didn't see any signs of internal pips and from what I have read, it seems that you don't always see the internal pips at day 18 candling but how do people see them if you don't want to open the incubator and candle at this point. Also, the sizes of the air cells varied between the eggs even of the same breed, is that normal/typical? Thanks!

I placed my eggs in lockdown this morning. I have 6 out of 6 deathlayers and 3 out of 6 black copper marans. I didn't see any signs of internal pips and from what I have read, it seems that you don't always see the internal pips at day 18 candling but how do people see them if you don't want to open the incubator and candle at this point. Also, the sizes of the air cells varied between the eggs even of the same breed, is that normal/typical? Thanks!
The size of the air cell can vary based on the age of the egg. Also if they were shipped or jostled the air cell can come loose from the side of the egg a bit and that will make it look different. I don’t usually see internal pips at day 18. I think that will vary if the temp was a bit higher. And yeah. If you’re following ‘lockdown’ and not opening the incubator you can’t get the eggs back out to asses…. Many people sneak in and grab eggs to candle or otherwise deviate from the general ‘rule’ of not opening the incubator.

Well so far 12 out of the 14 duck eggs set have hatched 2 left in hatcher that have pipped just waiting for them to zip out. Really hoping they do hatch it would be 100% fertility/hatch rate that would be my first 100% fertility and hatch rate at same time, have had a few close calls but always seems to be one or two that aren't fertile or early quitter or just don't hatch. A few pics of the 12 that have hatched so far, hoping I haven't jinxed them from hatching by counting my ducks before they are all hatched :lol: View attachment 3455831View attachment 3455824View attachment 3455825
Ducklings often hatch early! They are very cute

I was going to wait until tomorrow to put my Easter eggs in lockdown but all the chatter on here about early chirps & pips got me nervous so I went ahead and moved them to the hatch tray.

I am still going to wait to bump the humidity because I have other eggs in that have already been through 2 humidity blasts for other hatches and I don’t really want to give them a 3rd!

Anyway I think I miss posted earlier that there were 17 still going. I set 18. 17 shipped buckeye eggs plus one of my own mixed. I pulled 2 clears early on then the rest we’re going strong so it’s 16 going into lockdown. A few saddled air cells and one with the air cell looking smaller than in should be but hoping for a decent hatch 🤞🏼
Best wishes for this part of the hatch!

:celebrate we have ducklings!! With the bad storms in the area today, I didn't want to get momma lovey off the nest nor was I in the mood to be bitten 😂 so hopefully she will let me have a closer look tomorrow.
PXL_20230405_214220166.jpg
PXL_20230405_214212562.jpg

Wow that’s early for rocking! What breeds are you hatching again?
I have no idea! These are from my neighbor' father-in-law's friend. I'm assuming he has a mixed flock, and so these are barnyard mixes.

Two of the eggs look like what my cinnamon queen lays. 1 is a bit more brown. And one is speckled. They are all about the same size - largish.

Attachments

• 20230405_190720.jpg
    20230405_190720.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230405_190723.jpg
    20230405_190723.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom