15 week old Rhode Island Red- cockerel or a pullet

#lovemychickens

Songster
Jul 24, 2017
IMG_4152.JPG
IMG_4145.JPG
IMG_4130.JPG
I'm having a hard time telling if our Rhode Island Red is a cockerel or a pullet. I will refer to her as a she until I hear from all of the chicken experts on BYC! She is 15 weeks old, hasn't crowed, and used to have some longer tail feathers. She lost those about 1-2 weeks ago. I don't have any chickens that are aggressive or plucking them out so I am not sure why hers are gone.. but her comb is red and is getting bigger by the day. Same with her waddles. Our other Rhode Island Red does not have either of those yet. Which makes me wonder if she is actually a he. Or could this just mean she's maturing faster and may lay eggs sooner than the others? Any input I can get is greatly appreciated!

We haven't opened up the nesting boxes yet.. should we have them available for them now? Should I put a golf ball in there too? I'm a first time chicken mama. I want happy healthy chickens! I just bought a 50 pound bag of chick starter/ grower. Is it okay to still feed them this or should I switch feeds? This is so much fun!! I have 8 total but want 8 more! He he he.. so addicting!

We haven't opened up the nesting boxes yet.. should we have them available for them now? Should I put a golf ball in there too? I'm a first time chicken mama. I want happy healthy chickens! I just bought a 50 pound bag of chick starter/ grower. Is it okay to still feed them this or should I switch feeds? This is so much fun!! I have 8 total but want 8 more! He he he.. so addicting!

Yes...you've got at least one hen with a fully red and developed comb. She has to be pretty close to point of lay. Your only race will be with time...will the days stay long enough where you are (your latitude) to give her enough lighting to trigger her hormones for laying.

Production Reds, usually yes, as they are bred for production and do well even in the winter time.

So open up those nest boxes. Salt them with some fake eggs. Cross your fingers. It should be soon.

Go ahead and finish out the grower/starter but place oyster shell out for them free feed. The next bag likely will need to be layer.

LofMc

It's fine to feed them grower their whole lives, as long as the hens have some oyster shell to eat. I don't feed my chickens layer, and their eggshells are very hard.

Have any of you had black australorp or the speckled Sussex chickens? Those are on my "to get" list. Are they friendly and good around children and other chickens ?

Back
Top Bottom