15th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Pics
I had a stuck chick that pipped at the wrong end. After no progress for 30 hours chirping stopped. 🥺 I removed part of shell and small flap of membrane over the beak, and oiled it up with coconut oil. An all night vigil and lil baby hatched early today. 🥹The lil chick had a few companions, too.
Thank God and thank BYC for life saving articles on assisted hatch!
6 hatched; 6 to go, 1 pipped. Day 22.

Attachments

• IMG_4759.jpeg
    IMG_4759.jpeg
    367.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4764.jpeg
    IMG_4764.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4761.jpeg
    IMG_4761.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 3
I had one baby wonder away from momma and get chilled we put her back with momma but she still seems very week and slow moving after an hour. So I pulled her inside the house to try to get her warmed up
Only took 30 minutes to get her going again. She is warm and healthy. She was crying for momma so I returned her to the nest.
IMG_4417.jpeg

It’s day 22. I had a BC1 OE pip half down on the egg- I didn’t put a safety hole but should have. Opened air cell and it was dead, fully formed. I think it suffocated while zipping.
I put safety holes in 4 remaining eggs with internal pips at 10:00 AM est, only one had movement beforehand when I candled and none chirp.
Any advice on when to intervene again by chipping at the aircell?

It’s day 22. I had a BC1 OE pip half down on the egg- I didn’t put a safety hole but should have. Opened air cell and it was dead, fully formed. I think it suffocated while zipping.
I put safety holes in 4 remaining eggs with internal pips at 10:00 AM est, only one had movement beforehand when I candled and none chirp.
I would skim this article. It's excellent and covers so much about assisted hatching, including air holes. I hope it helps! :hugs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

You aren't seeing any of the 4 moving? I'd watch and if you're seeing them trying, leave alone but if absolutely no chirping or moving, I'm guessing they died. Since it's Day 22, I'd not wait as long as recommended.

I'd go for what you did by taking out the air cell end just enough to see inside. If it's moving, leave it be but by now I'm assuming they're shrink-wrapped so might need help escaping from the membrane.

Back
Top Bottom