1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

16 1/2 year old gander sick.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by LadyHayleyHalo1, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think she means in their poop @Lacrystol

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    AHHH No you can't see them in there poop but yes you can see them otherwise.. I had a showgirl silkie with gape worms and what I did is candled her neck, OMG, they are grose...

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
  6. LadyHayleyHalo1

LadyHayleyHalo1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Arizona mountains
    Thank you all for the advice. I took him to a different vet today. The congestion was bad this a.m.. She did x-rays of his throat and airsacks(lungs), good thing no tumors. There is a small amount of fluid there. The vet said it could be a fungal infection, since he was on Baytril it's not a pneumonia. She put him on an anti-fungal med for 14 days. She also wants me to put him on a vitamin B in his food. The anti-fungal med will be compounded to a liquid, easier for me to give. Waiting for the pharmacy to call to see what flavor I want it in. Hopefully it comes in lettuce flavor. I will make notes of everyones advice, for if this doesn't work I'll give her my notes on all of the advice. I thank you all so VERY much . Will keep you posted. Thank you.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thank you for updating, your vet sounds like she might know what she is doing. I hope the meds work. I hope it comes in lettuce flavor too. lol

8. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

Hum interesting I wonder if you can see gape worms in an X-ray?? Lol. Baytril is like a miracle drug. Lol seems to fix a lot of things but apparently not a fungal infection. Lol

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

10. LadyHayleyHalo1

LadyHayleyHalo1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Arizona mountains
    Update: The problem with his eye is, Luxated ( lense )w/ anterion displacement. The lungs....Increased opacity to air sacks. New question, if he has gizzard worms what is the medication to give him, where would I purchase it from, what would be the doseage for him, he's 11 pounds. I took a stool sample into the vet this a.m., results won't be back until tomorrow or Monday. I would like to get him started on the med as soon as possible, I feel tthat's what is wrong with him. He eats excessively, but not a good amount, he's also scooping up dirt quiet a bit. The crop is not impacted, it's empty. I am in such a state of panic for fear of losing him. I feel sick to my stomach. I pray someone has an answer for me. Thank you all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by