16-18 week old Silkie - Is 'he' a 'she'?

Pics
At my own risk, I picked up a Silkie last month from someone that thought it was a pullet but wasn't 100% sure. Well, over the last week I started suspect that Margaret was a boy, and then a couple nights ago he had a brief fight with an Easter-egger cockerel I had introduced to him to keep him company. So he's a he for sure, right?

But on another thread that I have been posting about him on, a couple of people have said that they still think 'Marka' is a 'Margaret'. I've been observing 'him' closely over the past couple days and, well, at this point I just don't know. I mean, I think I know, but I don't know. :lol: I wouldn't mind if Marka was a boy as I suspect he is, but I would be happier to find that he's still a Margaret!

So I thought I would start a tally here and see what everyone thinks. The person I got her from was not sure of 'his' age but gave me a general range. 'He' should be 16-18 weeks old right now. So should I be calling this bird Marka or Margaret?

In this picture, you can see 'his' overall coloration:

As far as behavior, besides the fight he had with the other cockerel, 'he' has been behaving pretty girly. 'He' ran to my Cochin cockerel that was chirping with a treat, and then the Cochin wing-danced at 'him'. On a number of occasions, the EE cockerel has tried to grab 'him' through the bars like that EE does with the other pullets. This Silkie also let a group of about 14 week old pullets beat up on 'him' and keep him from eating.

Thoughts? :confused:
I too have 18 week old silkies. I have also posted on what sex are they ? They are all so different. One rooster has a small crown like yours but has the long streamers on his head and small waddles.The streamers are a definite rooster sign. The other 2 have big red combs and big waddles, and no streamers. A few streamers showing on one. Give it some time and eventually you will be able to tell. 2 started crowing today and 1 is trying to mate with my new buff silky. definite roosters.
hope i helped a little.

This is our white silkie rooster at 12 weeks very distinctive purple comb and wadells and blue ears been crowing since 8 weeks but I beleave your silkie is a Margaret great pics on your bird

Attachments

• 20211028_154947.jpg
    20211028_154947.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 7
Yup, she's a girl all right! Margaret is currently about 8-and-a-half years old, mother of four that she raised herself (one of which I named Marka after this saga!), and grandmother of 8 now, I believe. She's declining in her old age and has been sickly for the past month or so, so I'm not sure how much time she has left, but she's had a long, rich life for a chicken as essentially the matriarch of my big flock for most of her years here.

What a blast from the past this thread is, though! She was so young at the beginning, my Margie girl! :love 😭 🥰

Back
Top Bottom