16 Appleyard Ducks in My Brooder

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
Tuffoldhen and I went in together with an order of Silver Appleyard Ducks from Holderread's. After waiting over 2 months it was finally our turn to recieve our shipment.

They arrived at my PO this morning having been shipped out on Tuesday evening.

appleyards6.jpg

The PO called before they open due to the loud box. LOL

appleyard1.jpg

I fed them a spinach and honey water puree for 10 minutes then took it away.

appleyard2-1.jpg

They loved it!

appleyard3.jpg

Isn't this the cutest thing?

appleyard4.jpg

And already they are super messy too!

I got baby ducklings coming to my house!!!
wee.gif

Grandsons are going to be tickled pink!! Mamaw has ducks!!...lol

It's amazing how fast the PO is willing to move and deal with you when the box is noisy and driving them nuts!

Cute ducklings! I have just one question though, is there room left at your house for the human inhabitants?

Farmer kitty, I was curious about that myself, MissP, you should start offering tours of your rapidly developing farm. give the rest of us ideas on how to increase the numbers of our feathered friends --- LOL

I am very very fortunate with this place we purchased here in Va. I have 2 barns (with one larger than my house), a tobacco barn/ corn crib and a gardening shed that was once the original chicken coop. One of my barns was a 1915 commercial poultry barn. I have lots of room. One room in the poultry barn holds 500 chickens. They need cosmetic work but are solid and sound housing for all sorts of poultry.

Awesome! I love love love my Appleyards. We'll be processing our first batch to eat the first week in June, too. They're a true triple-purpose breed.

I have one more appleyard sitting on her eggs. I went out this morning and two drakes were on her nest and she was just standing there next to it like "what?" Hope they let her back on.

BTW, did you see what I meant by some are nearly all black? I don't think it's sex linked, though.

I am marking the dark ones just to see how they develop into a mature duck. Also they included a solid white appleyard as an extra duckling in the order. They marked it. I'll be watching it too.

Back
Top Bottom