16 hens 4 to 5 months old and no eggs HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erlms2003, Oct 31, 2013.

1. erlms2003

erlms2003 Hatching

Oct 31, 2013
    We have several breeds of chickens and they have a large coop and run, sometimes they are out and about running around the yard. But we still have no eggs. They have free feed, and fresh water. nesting boxes with straw and other little areas in the coop to lay eggs. but no eggs. Can anyone help or give me ideas on what to do. Thank you

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG].

How much daylight are you getting?

What time are you letting them out to run around?

Is it possible any of them could be hiding eggs?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What breeds do you have?

5 months is considered the earliest point to expect a bird to lay, so I don't really see anything unusual. At this time of year, you may well have to wait for spring, since the days are so short.

4. Alicatt

Alicatt Chirping

Sep 10, 2013
    catskills, New York
    My hens just turned 5 months, I have ten hens and have only gotten my first egg two days ago. I think you just need to be patient. Other threads on here will tell you that when the combs and wattles get big and red they are getting ready, many of my birds still have peachy faces. Easter eggers, if you have them tend to be later maturing. I have also read of the "squat", instead of running from you when you bend to touch her, she will hunker down and allow you to pet her. This shows she is reaching maturity. Good luck!

5. ozzyman778

ozzyman778 In the Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    UK
    Agreed, I have 12 which are all between 5-6months old. My RIRs started laying at 5 months and 6 months old. Some of my other breeds are just now starting to lay at 5.5 months old. It is pretty obvious which ones they are by the red combs and how they squat and point their wings out a bit when I reach to pet them.

I am now getting up to 6 eggs a day, I also have LED christmas lights come on at 0430 to a few hours after sunrise and our sunset is at about 1800-1830 in the UK. So they get about 9 hours of light per day, I heard this is not quite the optimal amount of light but I do not want them up making noise any earlier than I wake up for work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by