16-mo old BO hen internal layer? update: Paris necropsy pics (graphic)

Oh Steff I've only just seen this. I so very sorry. You did absolutely everything in your power to help her. You are to be commended for your bravery and persistence. Many
hugs.gif

Oh Steff, I am so very sorry. You are a one of a kind special person, helping me with my Trixie while you were going through your own heartbreak. Trixie is still alive, but I fear not long for this world. She's sitting in a nice warm bath right now and I think she enjoys it. I felt again and now I think I feel at least one egg and maybe two. is that possible? sending you healing hugs.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Thanks, everyone, both for the condolences and the support along the way.
hugs.gif

At some point, I will try to post the pics of the necropsy, but right now I can't even look at them. Still, I know how much it meant to me to see others' posts of their own birds. And speckledhen's thread on the hen necropsy was so invaluable!!!!! Collectively, we know a lot!

Thanks, my friends!

Steff

As a last installment to Paris' story, I am including pictures of her necropsy. If they can help anyone else understand what might be happening with their own bird, I offer them. I spoke with the vet, and she said she felt it was probably an oviduct tumor. Paris' oviduct was filled with fat from ovary to cloaca. Her ovary had very few developing follicles, and no mature follicles. Her liver had one tiny white spot on the margin, but was otherwise unremarkable. The vet said her liver would have been very abnormal if it had been the cause of the ascites. That is ruled out.

First pic is of her oviduct.
18671_pict3378.jpg

Next pic is of her ovary.
18671_pict3375.jpg

Last pic is of her liver.
18671_pict3376.jpg

Was she an internal layer? I don't know.

Did she have an infection? Yes.

Was this preventable? I don't know, but probably not.

If you are looking for answers for your own bird, I wish you the best!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom