16% vs 17% layer feed

Dishens

Songster
May 19, 2019
CT
What is the benefit of one over the other? When would either be used (besides as a layer feed. I’m asking about protein content). Thanks!!

16% vs 17% protein is a small enough difference that it won't have much effect.

What is the benefit of one over the other? When would either be used (besides as a layer feed. I’m asking about protein content). Thanks!!

If it is labeled layer feed, it would not be used except as layer feed.

Layer food typically has much more calcium than any other chicken food.

The amount of calcium needed by a laying hen is too much for any other chickens (baby chicks, males of any age, hens that are molting or broody.) Eating it for a day or so won't hurt them, but eating it long-term is bad for them.

With all other chicken foods (lower calcium), you can pretty much feed any food to any chicken as long as the protein level is about right. You can also feed other chicken food to laying hens, as long as the hens have a separate source of calcium (usually a dish of oyster shell, and most chickens are pretty good at eating the right amount for their own needs.)

Myself I would choose the 17% layers feed, but I like 18% Protein for all ages.

When I switched to a Layers feed 16% with my first Flock 5 years ago after the first egg, they started to feather pick in a few weeks.
So after that I switched to a Layers feed with 18%.

Starting with my second Flock I never switched to a Layers feed. I fed a Starter Grower or Flock Raiser feed, which ever was available or cheaper but fresh.

I've never fed a 17% feed, but I would take that over a 16% feed any day.

Layers feed contains about 4 times the Calcium of a Starter-Grower or All-Flock/Flock Raiser feed and should not be fed till after 16 to 18 weeks old or first egg.
Both of my Sex-links 1st and 3rd flocks started to lay at 16 and 17 weeks old.
My 2nd Flock of Barred Rocks started to lay at 20 weeks.
I expect my 4th flock of Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds to start laying around 19 to 20 weeks old. They are currently 5 1/2 weeks old.
So if I decide to feed a layers feed 18% I would transition at 18 weeks old. GC

All other things being equal, I'd take the 17% protein layer over the 16% layer, without a second thought. I'd even pay a (small) price premium for it - but like @GC-Raptor , @NatJ , and a host of other respected posters who have not yet chimed in, I don't recommend layer feed at all except in very specific circumstances not present in the typical backyard flock.

/and in the interest of full disclosure, I am currently mixing my own, from what's available at the local mill, for my mixed age flocks of mostly layers. Its 18% protein, somewhat lower calcium than typical "layer", and I continue to free choice oyster shell. My hatchlings are on 24% until they are fully integrated with the adult flock, around week 6-7. Best mix of price, flock health, weight gain, and risk/reward ratio for my management practices.

We all have different opinions on how much protein is appropriate or necessary. Some of that depends on your goals. Some depends on what else they are eating, if they eat anything that is not that chicken feed. It's not how much is in one bite, it's how many total grams of protein they eat each day. If they are foraging or you are feeding them "treats" it depend on how much protein they get from those.

The more protein growing chicks eat the bigger they grow, to a degree. When they reach maturity those larger bodies require more protein for body maintenance. For some people size is important. I personally don't worry that much about it. Those feeds you mentioned are Layer with too high a calcium content for growing chicks and should only be used with laying hens. They are not going to be appropriate for any other chickens due to the calcium.

The real difference in a higher versus lower protein content for laying hens is that the higher the protein content they eat the larger the eggs will be. On a practical level you probably won't notice much of a difference in 16% or 17% protein content, even if that feed is all they eat (no foraging or treats). If you switch from a 16% Layer to a 20% Layer you might notice a difference. The best way to tell the difference is if you weight the eggs.

To much protein content can damage internal organs but you are not close to that. The numbers I've seen are that you'd have to feed 28% to 30% protein for that to be an issue.

Another one that I don't think you have to worry about at all is that higher levels of protein can cause a hen to release more than one yolk a day to start the egg-making process. If two yolks are released at the same time they can lay a double yolked egg. If the yolks are released at separate times a hen can lay two eggs in a day. Since a hen typically only makes a certain amount of shell material a day the second one is often soft-shelled or really thin shelled. Each hen is different so there is no set percentage of protein where this kicks in. You are not going to see a difference in this between 16% and 17% protein feeds.

Yours should be just as healthy if you feed 16% or 17% Layer. To me about the only difference should be a slight difference in the size of the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom