16 Week Broiler pic

Southerngirl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Central Arkansas
I had to post a pic of one of our Broilers at 16 weeks. The other 12 were processed at 10 - 12 weeks. These will be finished on Wed this week. They look like white midget turkeys in the yard!!!!!

HPIM1013.jpg

At least 800 pounds and that is NOT wet.
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
I really need to get a scale to weigh them. I am seriously guessing at least 13 -15 pounds. They are waaaaaaaayyyy heavier than our Barred Rock Rooster Goliath who is 2 years old .

I always wanted to raise a piar of Broilers but i was always afraid that once they got a serten age that they wouldn't be able to walk ..from being so fat
hmm.png

Awesome! I've wondered what it would be like to just let them keep growing, but my processor gives you an evil eye, if you bring in a batch of birds that are too large (plus, he'll charge more).

We were going to process them at the same time as the others, we only have 8 left to finish but hubby had to go back to work and we just did not have the time recently to get the job done ( garden, pens to build, kids, etc). We do the deed ourselves. It will be done this week for sure !! They walk all over the yard without any problems. I think alot of it has to do with us feeding them from day one 21% starter grower plus they free range and eat small animals and children. This was our first year with them and I will be raising a spring and fall crop for sure. They were well worth the time and money spent and LOTS of work at first for the first three weeks. I will kill the next ones at 8-12 weeks for sure. These are massive !!

We had the same problem. Got most of ours done at 10 weeks, but just finished the last 6 yesterday at 15 weeks.! We had most of them weight out at 10 lbs or better... the hens were all good on their legs since I let them free range all day but the last Roo had trouble the last few days with the heat and humidity!
There were spots in the breast meat that looked dry as we were packaging them but if it is they will be turned into soup or Chicken and Rice...
What age do most people process thier chickens?
Next year I will try to get it done sooner!
My husband was calling them Monsters and Gargantua....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom