16 week, when should they lay?

Gvnam

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
My Production Reds are 16 weeks old, when should I suspect some eggs from them? Does weather mess up laying patterns?

I agree with the other post. When their combs and wattles are nice and red and they start squatting then eggs aren't far away.

68634_dsc_0106-5.jpg

this was taken a few weeks before mine started to lay, it was closer to 18 weeks for mine, if not a week later...you still have a bit of time left.
Keep an eye on her comb and wattle, it will get very red....

Production Reds, so-called, are strains of RIR that are typically great layers, but seldom come even close to meeting the Standard of Perfection for the breed. They seldom has the right body type, feathering and the color is typically orange rust instead of the deep crimson color a Red should be. Often times that fact that folks have blended in other heavy layers is what pushes the appearance farther away from the standard. Fine production birds and that is why folks like them and own them. They aren't concerned too much that the appearance is way off.

What do you mean by squatting? Like sitting squatting, or just random squatting.

Quote:
Oh the squat... you'll know it when it happens, can't miss it! I've had girls squat when I walk into the coop, if I reach down to pet them or even just to pick something up. they pull there wings up a bit and squat down low, I call it "sexy time" (a.k.a. being submissive to the roo... me!) I give them a pet on the back, they fluff up and walk away.

My RIR started laying at 21 weeks, but then again her sister was a few weeks later. Just depends on the bird... when she's ready, she's ready.
This is Big Red after her first egg was laid
smile.png

96863_img_3852.jpg

Back
Top Bottom