16 week, when should they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gvnam, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    My Production Reds are 16 weeks old, when should I suspect some eggs from them? Does weather mess up laying patterns?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I brooded some production reds out last fall and they started laying, right on time, in the dead of January.

Every strain is unique. One person's experience is not a rule for another's birds. Normally? 20 weeks. Soooooo, you've got another month to go. Hang in there.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other post. When their combs and wattles are nice and red and they start squatting then eggs aren't far away.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

this was taken a few weeks before mine started to lay, it was closer to 18 weeks for mine, if not a week later...you still have a bit of time left.
    Keep an eye on her comb and wattle, it will get very red....

5. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    What is the difference between a Rhode Island Red and a Production Red? Are they one of the same?
    [​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Production Reds, so-called, are strains of RIR that are typically great layers, but seldom come even close to meeting the Standard of Perfection for the breed. They seldom has the right body type, feathering and the color is typically orange rust instead of the deep crimson color a Red should be. Often times that fact that folks have blended in other heavy layers is what pushes the appearance farther away from the standard. Fine production birds and that is why folks like them and own them. They aren't concerned too much that the appearance is way off.

7. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    What do you mean by squatting? Like sitting squatting, or just random squatting.

8. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:Oh the squat... you'll know it when it happens, can't miss it! I've had girls squat when I walk into the coop, if I reach down to pet them or even just to pick something up. they pull there wings up a bit and squat down low, I call it "sexy time" (a.k.a. being submissive to the roo... me!) I give them a pet on the back, they fluff up and walk away.

My RIR started laying at 21 weeks, but then again her sister was a few weeks later. Just depends on the bird... when she's ready, she's ready.
    This is Big Red after her first egg was laid [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by