16 wk old rooster attacked daughter, new ? post #38

To catch either wait until on the roost or if you don't want to wait we use a large fishing net with a long handle. Works great for catching any birds if needed to when not on the roost.

There are too many nice roos to put up with a meanie. I was soooo attached to my first "head" rooster. He was stunning! He didn't get mean until he was about 14 months old. Anyway, when his late puberty struck, he got very defensive of the coop & run. Keeping him off me ruined the fun of chicken keeping. I gave him away. The next spring, I decided to keep another roo. This guy is so big & handsome and so mild mannered. A real keeper!
Don't put up with a nasty rooster. It is your flock!

Since you mentioned Welsummer, we do not WANT that trait in the breed. You would do us a BIG favor in culling him. I do not TOLERATE nasty or aggressive roos. I have a six year old DD and if a roo even take a spur on her, he is GONE! Stew pot he goes!

Welsummer roosters supposed to be gentle, whether they hit puberty or not. Respect is the big thing and if he respect you as a human (including kids) then he got it made.

Quote:
Exactly!

I had a mean cochin rooster (well I have had several mean roos) This one in particular I handled alot as a chick. I tried everything to tame him but he just wasn't tameable! He not only went after kids but me as well. One day upon carrying him around like a football I went to put him down and he jumped up and grabbed my nose scraping several layers off the inside and outside of my nose... It was bye bye roo after that. Once they turn mean they seldom snap out of it and as your roo gets bigger he will NOT hesitate to do major damage.

ETA fishing nets work really well for catching chickens
wink.png

Last edited:
Our 9 year old adores her bantam chickens. We had a nasty rooster last year and she still is leary of roos, a good thing I guess. The boys she has now are gentlemen (most of them). We have too many and she has no problem keeping just one or two that are as close to perfect as possible. Having a roo that the whole family is on guard for is no fun and the kids get afraid real quick! Put him out on craigs list for free to a pet home, we have found some real good homes that way.

We have one that needs a new home ASAP or our teenage daughter will not take care of him while we are on vacation!

No need to get close enough to catch him. Bring a gun to the "spur" fight and you will win every time.
wink.png
Shoot him.

I really will never understand how a parent can try to justify in their mind an animal's behavior after it has gone after their child. I must be one heck of a momma bear type and not even know it because I tell you what, no matter the animal, no matter the attachment, my kids come first. One strike and you're out here. My kids are not worth sacrificing trying to "save" or "rehab" a mean roo.

A wing drop, a cocked head that's one thing. But repeatedly flying up and trying to spur a six year old child? That roo means business.

The day he jumped on your child should have been the day he went into the freezer. I have been raising chickens for years and once they start on childern they will not stop! You might be able to get him to stop attacking adults but they will always go for the kids.
Cull, cull, cull!

When my kids were younger, they learned they could approach the rooster, kick at him, turn and run. It was impossible for the rooster to not chase them. What, you may ask was the purpose of this? When the "city cousins" came to visit, my kids would take them for a tour to include the chickens, do the kick and run routine after telling the city cousins horror stories of chicken mayhem. My kids didn't have to be able to outrun the rooster (which they could), they only had to outrun the city cousins, and then roll on the ground laughing while the city cousins went crying into the house. No harm done, unless you count tears and irrational fear of chickens as adults when they grew up.

Back
Top Bottom