16 wk old rooster attacked daughter, new ? post #38

I really love having a rooster and would very much like to know if ANY rooster will handle kids messing with their hens or if we just need to be without one.

We have about 70 chickens, one main rooster and now three roosters in waiting. My daughter (8 years old) picks up hens, chicks, juveniles, cockerels and even the rooster and they have NEVER shown any sign of aggression to her (or us for that matter). We free range so I doubt they see any of us as 'alpha' chickens.
The only time anyone gets midly aggressive is when picking girls up off their eggs/chicks, then it's all puffing up and wheezing and the occaisional peck at the fingers - I think that's acceptable for hens on eggs/day old chicks.

We've had aggressive (to the hens/cockerels) cockerels but they go the way of almost all the boys we hatch - one way ticket to Barbequesville. It's just not worth the trouble and as someone pointed out, you don't want that trait carrying on into your next generation (and that definitely does happen whether it's genetic or the chicks learn it by watching).

35-1 means nothing, it's not our rooster and it's not our children, they are yours. Only you can decide what's best for your family and your chickens.​

You can also try catching him and holding him upside down by his legs until he settles. Works for all of my roosters.
smile.png

never had a welsummer but ive had many games and others that have been said to be mean..
i had one buckeye in particular that was very very mean for any reason he would chase people and kick
a strong 12 pound bird..never was able to calm hi down..till the family got tired of him and i had to sell him..could
eat him..i saw him grow since day one..others ive had like the roundhead,greys,shamos,and now the sumatras
i handle since days old and are very tame calm and accepting of other people..just a phoenix i got that gets jealous
and kicks but will not do it on purpose or to be mean..just does it to other birds so he can jump up on me...
hope it gets worked out with that bird..

I am gonna have to disagree with most the folks here. I was in dire need of an RiR Adult Roo, Since the 4 Pullets and 1 Roo I bought from Atwoods ended up being 5 Pullets. at 20 weeks of age I needed to Find a fast solution If i were going to breed my RiR's On time. After posting in Okie section I recieved a hit on a free Mean RiR Roo 2 years old. (Now from what I have experienced RiR Roo's can be some of the meanest guys.
After his Few days of quarenteen (had the state vet meet me and check him all out and NPIP Certify him before reaching home.) I put him in with the hens. The next morning I went in to feed them and pet my ladys. (they love it) He flaired up at me and attempted to claw me with his Spurs. (previous owner never trimmed them they looked like Elephant tusks. I quickly raised my voice And softly started poking him and slapping him(softly as if to slap box with a friend) I pulled my girls behind me and Poked himin the beak and told hom no. He FInally got the point and growled a few times kicked up some dirt and went back in the coop.
I shut the Access door to the yard and I went in and Picked him up under my arm and stroked his waddles and comb and petted his breast softly telling him its ok. (one on one time) Jolly Red Giant is now one of my best friends He loves to jump in my arms and Purr. Some days he stands Up in my hands and even gives me a Cock A Doodle Doo, (I really dread these moments) I will Post Pics if I can ever get someone to take them I Do 95% of this farm work alone and all I have is a cell Phone to capture picks.
Point of all this is. Its not really ever to late chickens are repetative learners So if you stay Persistant and consecutive with them. Theres always hope. He just has to Know you or DH are boss and thats that. You Don't get rid of the family Dog because you told him to sit 100 times and he only did it once. I would Like to add I would seperate him from any contact with the Kids Until you can determine If he is Set in his ways Or if its just an adolesent phase he is going threw. If you see no progress Then explore Different Options But Repetative is best.
Best of luck to you and the DH and kids Hope You can keep M.R. Roo and be one happy family.

P.S. This is no scientific method Nor has it ever been proven. It is only a method that works for me and I start training my Roo's as soon as thy Start to Show Development I have over 50 Roo's on my yard and I might have to break Up a fight once a week and I simply do so by saying No loudly. Worked for me hope it might work for you.

Basically the question you are asking is " Is it ok to put my chicken ahead of my childrens safety?"

Easy answer for me everytime.

No, what I am asking is if my daughter can continue to play with the chickens if we have a different rooster.

Quote:
we free range, we are on our 4th roo. He has been alpha roo for almost 2 years, he is a true ameraucana. Numbers 2 and 3 "seemed" nice until the alpha roo that was above them was gone. Number 3 was real nice too(current alphas brother) but I needed to rehome one of them and I liked the current roos color better(he is blue wheaten opposed to his brothers wheaten) and someone really wanted my wheaten roo. Anyway, with both of them ANY of my kids can pick up the girls and the roo if you are lucky enough to catch him
wink.png
He doesn't get upset and will sometimes watch us but no kicking dirt or any of those behaviors. If we are in the coop and one of the girls is upsert we are there and complains he will come to check it out but once he realizes it's us he leaves. As much as we love our roo, if he started "misbehaving" he would be gone too. We were reluctant to give up on our first roo, he was from our first group of chickens and the kids were attached to them. We hung him upside down, carried him around, chased him down.....didn't do a darn thing except make him more sneaky about his attacks
hmm.png

Quote:
Nobody is going to be able to answer that. Maybe. Maybe not. You really won't know until you try with that particular rooster.

Ditto!

Back
Top Bottom