16 x 12 Coop

Pics
For the left wall to keep it simple I decided to use a piece of plywood from a packing crate as it was big enough and pretty flat. Naturally there was not a straight edge on that piece and I like straight edges so I took a piece of plywood with a straight edge and screwed it down to the larger one as a guide for my fence. You can do a similar thing with a circular saw, I have an article here.

Here you can see me setting up to get a straight edge on the left side.
brooder-01.jpg

I had to cut out the center to fit the roost support and roost bar.
brooder-02.jpg

And yes it is from an old packing crate...
brooder-03.jpg

JT

I am trying to visualize this.

I take it your brooder will be a box or some enclosure that will go on/off the existing drop board as needed? And that it would incorporate the roost bar inside so the chicks can use it while still in the brooder? If yes I am still confused: I thought you were building a large coop but your last sentence says "only thing in there". Will you have a separate roost and setup that will accommodate chicks within a larger coop with other birds around?

The plan at the moment is to keep the Rhode Island Red hens where they are and just have the Cinnamon Queen hens in the new coop and soon to be chicken yard. Some time in the future they might be able to mingle.

And yes the brooder box will be removable and easy to return to just flat pieces for storage. My idea is not much will change as I remove the brooder box a piece at a time when they are big enough. The RIR's really didn't like being moved from the garage brooder to the new coop and it took quite a bit to get them to settle down in there. If I do add a few more in the future I don't know where I might put them lol.

JT

Got the front wall done minus the plastic HC and got the side parts milled.

Standing up by magic...
brooder-04.jpg

Left side and Front Door.
brooder-06.jpg

Right side parts milled enough for a mock up.
brooder-07.jpg brooder-08.jpg

The right side will have a cutout for the roost bar, I'll make a shorter one to use with the brooder just to make things easier for me. The right side will be able to slide to the left to make the area a bit smaller when the chicks are still tiny. I'll also block off the back until they get a bit bigger. The front door slides to the right to open up for play time and clean up. The left side will have some tabs that swing over to lock it to the roost support. The right side will either locked to the roost with shims or have some feet to keep it upright. No top until the heat bulb is not needed or they start to fly whichever comes first lol.

I may make the smaller back side of the right side solid and cut out a door so they can roam the poop table after a while...

I'm sure most of you noticed the fancy rail and stile joinery, it is not needed in any way a sheet of OSB with holes cut with a chain saw would work fine. I'm learning some joinery so where better to practice...

JT

Back
Top Bottom