16 yr old toooo big for his britches!!!!!!

Excellent advice, Boyd!
thumbsup.gif

We have an IEP in place and was working on the 501, but the nurse, whom we love and trust said that the IEP will do more for him in the long run. Cause it supposedly covers all aspects. They would have to accomodate him if I pushed the issue but I've had run ins with the school already and I pick my battles, so to speak.
I just feel that this girl, who by the way is extremely possesive!!! is the root to all of this. Jon's trying to prove his manhood to her at my expense and that won't do. He should know by now that I mean business. I can, without a doubt be that type of parent they hate to see coming down the pike. Puppy love or not...no way is the behavior gonna fly anymore. It's time for a parent pow-wow!

I haven't read the other responses, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

I wouldn't take away responsibilities. Instead, give him more. Make HIM take care of himself. If he doesn't, HE has to face the consequences. Tell him you won't be paying any more money towards his health until he starts taking care of himself.

Tell him to GET A JOB if he doesn't already have one. Then he'll realize how hard it is to have a job, life and support another person who is constantly ragging on them. (IE, he takes a step into your life for awhile.)

Boyd,
hugs.gif
for giving boys a good home with firm direction. They rebel, but deep down they crave the structure. I have seen first hand how teen boys end up in the spot where they are on a "last chance". 3 of my son's friends went through hell, never had guidance or direction, they had step-fathers who were more immature than them, etc...

I just feel that this girl, who by the way is extremely possesive!!! is the root

Nope. Don't go there. There is a reason he gravitated towards this particular person. His choice. His responsibility. If she was abducted by alien's tomorrow (don't get your hopes up
gig.gif
) you would still have the same issues.​

I have a 16 yo daughter. She is very responsible although she does have attitude. She is a straight A student, has a job, is applying to colleges and helps out at home. She knows the rules. She has a boyfriend w/ his senior license. They still aren't allowed to go very far that often. Basically just right around home in our little rural area. Every thing must be okayed by myself or her dad. If she can't get in touch w/ one of us then she does what she did a couple of weekends ago. She called her grandmother. Told her what she wanted to do and asked if she could. My mom okayed it. That was fine. She knows if she doesn't follow the rules then she is grounded FROM EVERYTHING for 1 month other than work & school. This is too big of an issue. It scares me to death.

I did just talk to the PA State Police and they said there is no law here regarding a minor in the car with her while she has a Junior Driver's License. The only restriction is that she has to be home by 11:00 pm and can't leave again until 5:00 AM unless work, school or volunteer fire fighter related unless there is a parent, guardian or loco parentis in the vehicle with them.

Good luck! They are head strong aren't they?

Quote:
Nope. Don't go there. There is a reason he gravitated towards this particular person. His choice. His responsibility. If she was abducted by alien's tomorrow (don't get your hopes up
gig.gif
) you would still have the same issues.

actually of the 8, only 3 of them boys
smile.png
I have problems that no dad should have..... 5 girls... 2 in their senior year, 1 in 10th, one in 9th and grandbaby in diapers
lau.gif
I was supposed to take them all dress shopping tonight because this sat is homecoming
hide.gif
All I can say is my glock is oiled and ready.

Sometimes I think girls are just as hard as boys though. My 16 year old guy here see's what the girls put me through and he says.. if I acted like that you'd probably just thump me on the head right? Yup
smile.png
Although there have been two kids that blew their last chance. Those are the ones I still pray for. One is still in lockup and another went MIA a while ago.

thumbsup.gif
to you Boyd!!!!! I've always said that when mine are grown and gone it's me and DH's time to play. I have deep respect for anyone w' the patience to take kids in. God, I know holds children in the highest regard, if only their parents could and would do the same. Alot of what is wrong with teens these days can be traced back to one thing parenting and corporal punishment. When you have to go out and pick the weapon of discipline off of that ole peach tree.... the trip out there seems to last forever. Almost as long as the whipping itself.
I know there are those who don't raise a hand to their kids, but sometimes a good ole A#% Busting is called for. I remember that big ole paddle the teachers had on their desk in school. We knew better than to face that thing in action. It was a reminder of who is the boss/teacher. My legs were pinked often when I was a child by that ole peach tree switch. I came out ok....didn't I?
idunno.gif

I'm almost 21 and I've been a T-1 diabetic since I was 4 1/2. Is your son on the pump? If not, he should definitely work towards it. It will do him a world of good in helping to control his blood sugars. I know for me, when things get easier, I am more inclined to take care of myself. I used to take Lantus and a bolus of insulin every time I ate and it was terrible. Sometimes I found myself skipping insulin doses...not because I didn't care about my health, but because nobody else around me had to take shots. That's probably the worst part about diabetes - that so few have it and you always feel so alone when dealing with it. I've met a few other diabetics and talking with them is such a huge relief. I guess its like the difference between talking to someone from the city about your chickens, or talking to someone else who has pet chickens...its just easier.

You might want to look and see if your hospital or endocrinologist has some sort of group or summer camp he can go to so that he can be with other diabetics. Also, make it very clear to him what will happen if he doesn't control his blood sugars. Not just death...that's not always scary when you are 15. The things that ARE scary is thinking you could end up in a wheel chair someday...or worse, lose a limb.

And don't let the school treat him differently because he is a diabetic. Not being able to ride the bus because he is a diabetic is a load of crud from the school. IMO that is downright discrimination. Oooo...I have so much more I want to write, but I have to run to class. I will try to finish typing up my thoughts after class! Please don't hesitate to ask questions though. I love educating people about diabetes, especially since I grew up with it.

Back
Top Bottom