??

Jodeekep

Chirping
May 2, 2023
I’ve hatched barred rocks before but they have never been fully black or have really black legs. Is That normal? I got 5 eggs from my nana and all she has is barred rocks. There is one with the brown tips on wings that’s the only egg that’s hatched from me.
They are 3 weeks

Attachments

• IMG_5853.png
    IMG_5853.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5836.jpeg
    IMG_5836.jpeg
    656.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5834.jpeg
    IMG_5834.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5830.jpeg
    IMG_5830.jpeg
    731.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5828.jpeg
    IMG_5828.jpeg
    696.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5821.jpeg
    IMG_5821.jpeg
    564.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5818.jpeg
    IMG_5818.jpeg
    636 KB · Views: 15
I’ve hatched barred rocks before but they have never been fully black or have really black legs. Is That normal? I got 5 eggs from my nana and all she has is barred rocks. There is one with the brown tips on wings that’s the only egg that’s hatched from me.
They are 3 weeks
That is not normal for pure Barred Rocks.

Maybe the "Barred Rock" rooster is a Black Sexlink instead. What you are seeing would be normal for chicks from Barred Rock hens with a Black Sexlink rooster

A Black Sexlink rooster has one barring gene, and one gene for not-barred. That means he can look barred but also produce some chicks with no barring.

Maybe the "Barred Rock" rooster is a Black Sexlink instead. What you are seeing would be normal for chicks from Barred Rock hens with a Black Sexlink rooster

A Black Sexlink rooster has one barring gene, and one gene for not-barred. That means he can look barred but also produce some chicks with no barring.
She might not have all barred rocks if that's what is hatching.
yes she has alll barred rocks. I’ve hatched eggs before and they never looked like this. So I was confused as to what happened.

All her chickens are barred rock. She got the rooster has from me. Which I got from a breed who said he was a pure breed barred rock. Maybe he wasn’t. I wish I had a picture to add.

I hatched this one from her too
It looks like a barred rock to me.
This chick is 9 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_5863.jpeg
    IMG_5863.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 9
I hatched this one from her too
It looks like a barred rock to me.
This chick is 9 weeks.
That looks like a male, and it certainly has barring.

But male Barred Rocks should have more white on them than female Barred Rocks. It's always hard to be sure with no comparison, but I think that looks more like a single-barred bird (female color, or mixed-breed male), rather than the lighter double-barred color that a pure Barred Rock male should be.

That looks like a male, and it certainly has barring.

But male Barred Rocks should have more white on them than female Barred Rocks. It's always hard to be sure with no comparison, but I think that looks more like a single-barred bird (female color, or mixed-breed male), rather than the lighter double-barred color that a pure Barred Rock male should be.
Thank you ! I figured he was going to be male since the other two didn’t have a big comb like he did but thank you for the help !

Back
Top Bottom