17 day old chick "given up"

Nicky-the-witch

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 31, 2013
Craigmore, South Australia
One of my chicks hatched Xmas eve appears to have just given up on life!!
sad.png

She just stands there while all the others happily graze and scratch around under the supervision of my broody Momma.
It has been a warm day - in the low 30'sC - but there is plenty of shade and the mister is switched on by the coop.

I went out with their daily treat - a fish stick very finely chopped up - all the chicks came running as soon as the door opened with the exception of Morgan. She stood under the garden table and just watched. I threw some food her way - she just looked at it and was then run over by the other fighting to get to it first.

I have tried bringing her into the cooled house and giving her some water then tried sugar water - just shakes the drop off her beak not interested.
Not interested in food either, crop empty - has pooped but it is clear liquid with white.

Any ideas anyone? 17 days old today

I guess it's possible she is overcome with cocci while the others are managing their load, although generally, if one is sick with them, others will be, too. The medication for them is amprolium, called Corid in the US. But she may just have some sort of defect and you will lose her to it. When they have cocci, they typically don't want to eat or drink and tend to huch up as if cold. Sometimes they have blood in their poop. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/792579/just-found-a-dead-chick/20_20#post_11436103

In Australia the amprolium product I know of is called Amprolium 200.

I would try to find some of that ASAP.

-Kathy

They have been given a chick starter with medicated feed - along with being outside from day 1 with the broody hen that hatched them.
Morgan is still alive this morning - but still not interested in eating or drinking. She follows Momma when called (but slowly) just hunches down as soon as stopped and Momma hen comes back (with the other 7 chicks) to sit next to her so she can snuggle under her. All the other chicks seem their usual bubbly selves scratching and pecking at everything.

They can still get coccidiosis on medicated feed.

-Kathy

Definitely true. The dose they get if you give amprolium for cocci is much higher than what is in edicated feed.

I'm not familiar with Baycox but if that's what I found at the feed store, that's what I would use.

It's added to water and sometimes they don't want to drink. Try dropping water drop by drop alongside the side of their beak. Hopefully they will pull it into their mout.

Definitely true.  The dose they get if you give amprolium for cocci is much higher than what is in edicated feed. 

I'm not familiar with Baycox but if that's what I found at the feed store, that's what I would use.

It's added to water and sometimes they don't want to drink.  Try dropping water drop by drop alongside the side of their beak.  Hopefully they will pull it into their mout.

I think Baycox is a Bayer product that's sold by prescription in the US, but I think you can get the generic without a prescription. Not sue about other countries though.

One of the reasons I prefer the liquid amprolium is that it can be easily given as a drench if they aren't drinking on their own. I give the small chicks just a small drop and that usually does the trick.:D

-Kathy

In Australia the amprolium product I know of is called Amprolium 200.

I would try to find some of that ASAP.

-Kathy

I got some of this stuff, given level teaspoon in 2 liters of water. Used a 2ml syringe to drip some onto her beak - she took a little.
I have seen her take a few sips of water today - so all water around her now treated with the Amprolium 200.

I have also put some yoghurt watered down with the amprolium water within her reach should she want some sustenance.

Thank you for all your help.
Fingers crossed.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom