17 day old chick "given up"

I like amprolium for prevention, to let them build up a nice immunity.
When they're showing signs of severe illness, its time to bring out the big guns and that means sulfamethoxazine, albon or baycox. But I find that the baycox is the absolute bomdiggidy.
It is not available in the US for chickens, but you can get the equine generic online from Canada, its expensive but the dose is so small that a bottle lasts forever, even if your hatching a lot of chicks.
Bayer has a website devoted to baycox and there is a dosage calculator on that website, the only problem is that if you get the equine generic form of the medication, you have to cut the dosage in half because the horse concentration is double that of the chicken.

I like amprolium for prevention, to let them build up a nice immunity.
When they're showing signs of severe illness, its time to bring out the big guns and that means sulfamethoxazine, albon or baycox. But I find that the baycox is the absolute bomdiggidy.
It is not available in the US for chickens, but you can get the equine generic online from Canada, its expensive but the dose is so small that a bottle lasts forever, even if your hatching a lot of chicks.
Bayer has a website devoted to baycox and there is a dosage calculator on that website, the only problem is that if you get the equine generic form of the medication, you have to cut the dosage in half because the horse concentration is double that of the chicken.
What is the recommended dose in mg/kg for poultry?

-Kathy

OK small update.
Yesterday morning chick still alive and showing signs of more vigor but her head looked like it has been put on a bit wonky - about 20 degrees out from vertical. She looks at you with her head a full 45 degrees out then seems to lose balance and freaks out a bit. She seemed to improve during the day eating and drinking better. When I helped her into the coop last night the head thing seemed to have got worse. Seems her point of view stops her from negotiating how to get up the steps into the coop and once inside her head was rolling right over (like she was dizzy - always in the same direction) and she was rolling her body with it then freaking out. Once under Momma chick she calms and is happy.
This morning I had to help her out of the coop - her head rolling right over as I picked her up, Once on her feet and in sight of the others she seems a bit better (but still nowhere near right) trying to eat and drink (but looks like a drunk - all going a bit sideways)

Is this wry neck? I will go and get some vitamin supplements for her today - I believe that is the "cure" for wry neck as it is a weakening due to another illness that causes it?
Have I "got" the illness sorted - was it coccidiosis?

We are due a heatwave here starting today for a week - weather is going to be brutal.

I feel rung out - I have spent the last 3 days thinking "what can I do to save this bird?" "should I put this poor bird out of it's misery?" "have I got the right diagnosis?" "am I just prolonging the inevitable?" "will she infect all of the others?" "how could I put her down - it's Morgan for goodness sake?" "should I just let nature take it's course?" round and round!

And to top it all my husband saw a rat in the garden yesterday - and I found evidence that it stayed the night and had a feast on some leftover chick feed outside the coop overnight.
Great - I live in the suburbs and technically the coop is too close to the house for council regulations. The garden is not quite the right shape for it to be the required distance from all surrounding houses.
barnie.gif

Just to put everything into perspective - I took the dog to the vets for his annual jabs - was asked did I want the heartworm injection, decided for the 1st time to let him have it. He had a huge reaction to it - he was sick in the car and collapsed as soon as I got him home - got him back to the vets within 10 mins where they gave him some other injections. 3 and 1/2 hours later I am not convinced we are out of the woods yet - he has just managed to keep some water down for over 30 mins so we are making progress.
fl.gif

Morgan has been left to get on with it with all the others - still treating for coccidiosis but not going to leave dog to go get vitamins. Apart from the neck thing she seems quite chipper.

Back
Top Bottom