18 Chickens, 2-4 eggs a day

tmain

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
This summer at least I was getting six eggs a day, but now with the cooler weather and freezing at night I get 2 to 4 if I'm lucky. I have 5 black Australorps who are a year old, 5 Auracaunas that are about 6 months old, one that I know is laying but stopped, 2 barred rocks who are 2 years old so I know they are slowing down, a columbian wyandotted who is also 6 mos.,and 5 little bantums. Our coop has a red light on for warmth now 24 hrs. A white light to extend their day. The coop is not insulated, and they are done molting. ???

Chickens can cope just fine with the cold unless it's consistently below 0C in the coop

If you use artificial light it is better to get them up early in the morning rather than keep them up in the evening

Welcome! .... and let us see...

... check the food. Enough protein, fat,vitamines and minerals?
Freeloaders? Check the feathers and the poo for signs of life. Parasites reduce life quality and eggs.
Is enough chicken under the plumage? Or are they obese? If a hen is too fat, she sometimes stops laying.
Light is a big factor for our birds, but since you have white light it should be okay.
Did they have a infection lately? Some respiratory disease can also effect the egg production.
And check the pubic bones of the hens. Not every hen starts with 6 month esp. in winter.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you are supplemental with artificial light, you can set your timer to go on early in the morning before the sun comes up, but make sure that your timer is SET TO GO OFF BEFORE THE HENS RETURN TO THE COOP AT SUN SET, or you will mess up their roosting cycle.. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

I use AgLand lay crumbles 2 scoops to one scoop scratch. I have 2 ducks that need corn chop and the hens attack that when I fill it... but? Gotta feed the ducks and have no separate area for them YET. I will change the light to morning and see if that helps. The coop is pretty cozy/warm.

Corn is not the best thing for hens and probably not for ducks either. The majority of the hen's nutrition should come from layer feed with a side container of crushed oyster shell- they will take as needed.

You may want to post on the Duck Thread - as to their nutritional needs.

Chickens can tolerate cold much better than heat, and except in extreme climates do not need an insulated coop. Coop should be draft free and have sufficient ventilation higher up just under the roof.

Back
Top Bottom