18 to 21 days to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trunkman, Jan 8, 2011.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I just watched a video that explained how long a hatch takes, they said from 18 to 21 days. Do hatches frequently happen before day 21? [​IMG]

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Yup.. I have had them start hatching by day 19....... Sometimes they just get in a hurry!!!

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I don't know. sorry. on my 1st time. I am so nervous it is horrible. Good luck

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've had eggs pipping when I went into lockdown, so I've had eggs hatch at 19 days.

If the average incubating temperature is a little high, eggs will hatch early. If the average incubating temperature is a little cool, they can hatch late. Heredity can affect whether they hatch a little early or late. I'm not sure about this one, but I've heard that smaller eggs will hatch a little earlier than larger eggs from the same breed.

5. citychickinthecountry

citychickinthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    I just had my first egg hatch at Day 19. I know my day count was correct because I marked on the calendar the day she set on the egg. It freaked me out until I started searching and reading about hatching dates.

I hope my second egg (set about a week after the first egg) hatches at Day 19 so Mama doesn't have to keep sitting on it. =O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by