18 wk pullet suddenly has a crooked neck! Photos added

I posted about my EE several weeks back, perhaps even a month or more. Anyway, I described the neck as in a Z shape. When I pull the feathers back, that's exactly what it looks like! I wanted DH to cull it, but he says the coloring looks too much like an eagle, and he won't do it. Said we'll just have a pet chicken. Well a pet chicken that hates for anyone to touch it. LOL! I did try the massages, three times a day, and could get the neck to straighten completely out, however, it wouldn't hold. Did that for several weeks. Did warm compressions before the massages and after. Even try splinting it with a pieces of waterhose (too stiff to work), tried using vet wrap (wasn't stiff enough), did the vitamins and minerals, etc. Nothing has helped, so Eeyore lives as it is. I say it, because I'm almost certain its a roo, and so afraid because he won't be able to mount! I hope he doesn't get frustrated and mean. That would break my heart.

I feel Eeyore is a bit on the thin side, but eats well, loves the daily treats, though does realize its the last on the pecking order, so waits patiently to eat last. Enjoys the hours of free grazing, getting bugs, etc. The only thing I've noticed is the scratching the others do in the leaves, dry grass, etc. And seems to lay down frequently. Not sure if tired, or because it's easier to eat when laying down.

Eeyore has a milk crate to help it get onto the roosts at night, and has no problem balancing.

Looking straight at Eeyore from the front, you'ld think it just doesn't have a neck. But when it starts walking, it's evident something is wrong.

Enjoy ya chicky. Do the vitamins, massages, etc if you want, and at least you can feel like you gave it your all. That was my thinking. As a nurse, I want to FIX things. Somethings just can't be fixed though.

HUGS!

Forgot one thing. Sorry I've already written a novel!!!

I did email Va Tech's poultry dept, and they suggested it could be from the vaccine. Stated sometimes it damages the muscles and nerves because it's typically done by a machine instead of a human, and it can miss it's target and not show up until the bird is in a growth spurt. I dunno...

Eeyore was dropped the same day I noticed it's neck. However, I don't think the gal would have been able to catch him if he wasn't already feeling different. So who knows.

I'm just enjoying Eeyore, and hoping for the best.

Quote:
Oh well that can make sense! And yes - shots are supposed to be in the neck under the skin, not in the muscle. So if they messed that up...

Just enjoy him. If he's a pet. then he should be alright.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom