????

lyndy53

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
How do I get rid of snakes?
I think I have several predators getting my chickens and I don't know where or how they are getting in. First it was just my baby chicks, and eggs, set rat traps and a small live trap. Nothing disturbed, nothing bothered. Next day trap was tripped but nothing in it. Babies were left alone for a while.
This morning babies are gone , traps are tripped and absolutely nothing caught, again, could this be a snake.
Now something is getting the adults. One was found with her head ripped off and partially eaten and then another was found dead partially eaten.
I figure maybe a snake on the first part of this posting, but on the latter, I always thought coons would eat the whole chicken. I'm totally confused. I don't know how to catch this thing, whatever it is

It doesn't sound like a snake that is causing you problems. They don't "rip off" chickens heads. If they can't swallow it whole, then they leave it, and the chicken is dead with a wet head.

I would also edit the title of your thread so you might get more interest.
wink.png

It really sounds like a rat or something like that.

Shelly

Coons, possum, fisher cat, weasel... they will all eat heads and leave the body. I think coons are natorious for this....
somad.gif

I just had a snake in my brooder over the weekend. Knew it was a snake because his fat little behind was still there basking under the heater. Needless to say he was relocated very far away (I don't kill non-poisonus snakes ever). I caught my coon and fox on a night vision motion camera. I then trapped the coon - he wasn't as fortunate as the snakes LOL! My neighbor trapped the fox. I didn't ask what happened. I assume it was a SSS. It sounds like you need to get some have a heart traps. Rats will also steal eggs and chicks.

Last edited:
Quote:
There's no real way to eliminate snakes from your yard. The best way to keep the number of snakes down on your property is to keep it free of debris, tall grass, wood/junk piles because those things both serve as cover for snakes and cover for rodents, which snakes eat.
The less likely you are to have rodents, the less likely you are to have snakes. That said..you should always assume that there is a snake somewhere on your property. I know some people use repellents and swear by them, but I've never personally known any serious herper that put any stock in them. That's not to say that one doesn't exist that will sing praises, it just hasn't been my experience.

Is it possible that you have something small enough to escape the trap setting them off in addition to another larger predator that attacked your chickens? Or..perhaps the trap is not set right?

I know snakes don't rip the heads off chickens, I guess I phrased my questions wrong. I believe I have a couple of different predators. I thought maybe a snake because whatever got my babies the last time, there was no trace of them, rat traps had been tripped but nothing was in them.
Whatever is getting my baby chicks is going through three rat traps, plus a small live trap and getting the chicks. I can't figure it out,
Did put moth balls out the other day and this morning my eggs were still there.

Back
Top Bottom