Keep a black snake?

Futuregreenefarm

Songster
May 9, 2019
Morganton, GA
Had a piece of land for several years that just had a shed and carport. Had a black snake always around and just left him since others said it was beneficial. We did build here and now live here and have gotten into chickens. I found this under the wooden bottom in my 2 young chickens' pin and nearly stepped on it. We are pretty sure it is a baby black snake but how can I keep them away from the chickens? And will I be regretting not getting rid of that black snake?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620-195701.png
    Screenshot_20230620-195701.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 80
I let a black snake live because I always heard they were good to have to keep copperheads away. That is a lie. They do keep the rat population down but they are kinda "friends" if you will, with copperhead. The black snake I let stay around, killed a full grown muscovy hen while she was sitting on her last 2 eggs and tried to swallow her but couldn't. Her head and neck were wet. So now we take care of all black snakes immediately. Tried catch and release about a mile up the road, but then found out they have a strong honing since and will return. I love my flock and will do what I have to do to protect them. I hate to harm anything. I believe we were all put here to live together. But that includes my feathery babies. So bye bye snakes.

Keep it away from the eggs and birds with hardware cloth. I figure I need that to keep weasels away and raccoons from reaching in anyway.

I encourage snakes to stay around to keep the rodent populations down.

Back
Top Bottom