18mo old chicken has swollen cheek, makes honking sounds (pic/video included)

definit

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
NY
For the past few weeks, one of my chickens has been consistently making a weird sound - something like a honk/yelp for lack of a better way to describe it. I searched on byc but didn't find anything conclusive and assumed it wasn't a big deal since my chicken was behaving normally.

This morning when I let out my four chickens (all about 18 months old and going through various stages of molting), I noticed that she had a swollen cheek/lump on her face. She has been acting fine, eating normally, walking normally, doesn't appear to wheeze or anything. I'm not sure if this is related to her honking, but would like to know how to proceed.
0.jpg

thank you in advance! hoping this is something easily treatable

anyone else can chime in? i'm planning to go to agway tomorrow so if there's any meds or antibiotics i need to get, would be great to know.. thanks in advance!

If she were one of my hens I would go ahead and treat for a respiratory infection. Do I know thats what she has for sure? No, but with her honking sneezes and swelling around her sinus', I figure it couldnt hurt. Hopefully someone who has had experience with this sort of symptom will be able to help out more!! Good Luck!

thanks so much again, really appreciate all your help. just ordered some vetrx on amazon since agway didn't have and should get it by wednesday

She has a swollen sinus and is sneezing, so I think she has a respiratory infection such as infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma (CRD.) VetRX is an herbal oil remedy that has been used for 100 years, and many people swear by it, but I would rather treat a respiratory infection with Tylan or Terramycin (oxytetracycline) in the water. Gallimycin, Spectinomycin, and Lincomycin are also good for CRD. If there is a bad odor, then it might be coryza. Here is alist of common diseases where you can read about mycoplasma and IB: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Quote:
thank you. i ordered terramycin for the water - should i separate the chicken from the others so that she has her own medicated water? or is it ok for the other chickens to be drinking this water as well? the affected chicken has been making those sounds for weeks now but only began having a swollen face the other day. the other 3 chickens have not shown any signs of having been affected. i also ordered tylan which only came in injectable form - so i could potentially inject it into the chicken, but i would rather not...

Back
Top Bottom