18th day ! So excited

cheequechick

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2015
Indonesia
I'm so excited... My Dutch Bantam Hen is on 18th day, and I heard her made a soft clucking sound as if she is 'calling' the chicks to hurry up :D
She has 11 eggs under her. Not sure how many are going to hatch, because I have extremely high humidity here :(

Last time, I only got 5 out of 12. I hope this batch will be better

Last edited:
I think the hen can hear the chicks making sounds and she talks to them. That's a good sign that she has live chicks under her. They will imprint on her sound and follow her after they hatch.
The 18th day IS EXCITING! It gets nerve wracking after this. Day 21 is walk the floor day and listen for peeps. Makes me want to get some eggs in the incubator. Good luck! And let us know what you get.
jumpy.gif

It has begun! I just saw a chick. The back is black, but the breast, stomach and butt are yellow :D

And I heard few chicks chirping. Not sure how many of them are hiding under the hen

I counted 7 chicks so far (because I saw 3 black heads, and 4 yellow heads) :D It is possible there is still 1 or 2 under the hen

Today, I expect the hen to take them out for food and drink for the first time :)

here they are, hanging out outside the nesting box ;)

I'm very happy. Overall, 9 of 11 eggs hatched, despite the humidity is very high (always >90%) all the way from start to finish

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom