19 and a half weeks old and still no eggs :( egg countdown anyone??

Ok I'm going to guess that she is singing the egg song. It was just weird because it sounded like this: SCREEECH screeeech SCREEEEECH screech. She has never reallly made any bok bok noises more of like screeches. I guess thats what campines do. lol.
I have 3 girls laying and have never heard the "bok bok" egg song, but they all do the scheeching thing right before they run up to their boxes to lay. It's kind of loud, but maybe quieter then the other egg song which I heard on youtube. So maybe some bok and maybe some screech.
hu.gif

Well, we are officially 6 months this last weekend and still not an egg in sight... :(...... I have 14 pullets of various breeds, and then i got some baby marans that are between 8 and 12 weeks and put them in a brand new second coop... and an incubator with some shipped eggs in it...

I feel totally like the eggless chicken keeper.. I have yet to see an egg from anyone.

we had chicken wings for dinner on friday and I was so tempted to go outside and put the bones where the chickens could see them.....

My 18-week old Silver Campine screeches long and loud - to be let out. I let my 4 girls out for 2-3 hours in the afternoon, and she starts doing it late morning. She is only just developing comb and wattle, so it sure isn't an egg laying noise!

Have you changed the routine on Othello - is she agitating to get let out? I heard they handle confinement less well than some other breeds. If she can free range, maybe she's just after treats. They are a vocal breed. And also very very lovely.

I have a Leghorn that screeches kinda like what you're describing and it's not the egg song....she starts doing it when she wants out of the run into the yard. The egg song is pretty distinct....and it is bok bok bok BEGOOOOK! Bok bok bok bok BEGOOOOK!
It did end up being her egg song. She is usually quiet unless she needs to "alert" everyone that there is something to run away from. It was just weird for me to hear it because like I said she is usually very quiet. If she wants out of the run they are in, she just lets herself out somehow. I just have to scoop her up and put her back inside after awhile.

Here's her egg. Just started laying 2 days ago.

It did end up being her egg song. She is usually quiet unless she needs to "alert" everyone that there is something to run away from. It was just weird for me to hear it because like I said she is usually very quiet. If she wants out of the run they are in, she just lets herself out somehow. I just have to scoop her up and put her back inside after awhile.

Here's her egg. Just started laying 2 days ago.
Awwww. Cute egg.

Well, we are officially 6 months this last weekend and still not an egg in sight... :(...... I have 14 pullets of various breeds, and then i got some baby marans that are between 8 and 12 weeks and put them in a brand new second coop... and an incubator with some shipped eggs in it... I feel totally like the eggless chicken keeper.. I have yet to see an egg from anyone. we had chicken wings for dinner on friday and I was so tempted to go outside and put the bones where the chickens could see them.....

No crowing either?

My Orphimgtons are turning 24 weeks and are just now beginning to lay. Hang in there. When they start, you'll have a hard time eating or keeping up with your eggs. I'm eggggstatic and I'm sure you will be when your hens start.
You have Orpington ducks? Yeah my girls are 15 weeks today, so I still have some waiting I think, but I've never tried a duck egg so I'm eggcited I might get one!

You have Orpington ducks? Yeah my girls are 15 weeks today, so I still have some waiting I think, but I've never tried a duck egg so I'm eggcited I might get one!
Duck eggs make awesome pancakes. They taste great fried, too -- so I have a hard time deciding what I'll do with them. I've read that duck egg yolks have more of the emulsifiers in them (the stuff that binds oil and water), and therefore they make really fluffy baked goods. I like to put extra eggs in my pancakes ... so tasty. One day I'm going to try to make mayonnaise with a duck egg. Our duck hasn't missed a day since she started laying. Her eggs are a very consistent size and color, and she has finally started putting them in the nesting box instead of laying them in the kiddie pool. I can't wait to get more ducks.

Back
Top Bottom