19 and a half weeks old and still no eggs :( egg countdown anyone??

how old are your RIR's?
I have noticed that if a hen lays really late one day, the next day may be her day off (since it is a 25 hour cycle). Yesterday my Lucy got disturbed by a couple of coop mates and she left the nest only to lay her egg in the middle of the run amongst all the other hens.
th.gif
They then proceeded to squawk that "What Is That Odd Thing" squawk they do when they see something new. Then the peck, peck, peck started, one at a time. I moved as fast as I could to collect the egg before disaster hit. And boy was that one toasty egg. Seriously brand new. Lucy laid so late yesterday I bet today will be a day off for her. Gerty, the black austrolorp had the day off yesterday and she laid bright and early this morning about 10 mins ago. I am lucky I get to watch them so closely so I know who is doing what when.
wee.gif

Last edited:
All of my girls are the same age - 33 weeks. Both of my GCs have been laying for more than 10 weeks. One of my EEs has been laying for 6 weeks. The other one, who, by the way is not terribly bright, might not start laying until the spring.

My 2wk old chicks DIVING into their morning FF. 2 of them spent the night UNDER the Pallet house instead of Inside w/Momma. One of the black chicks is turning out to be a Barred Rock as I suspected, male. Still haven't figured out where the White chick came from as I've no egg laying white hen or white Roo. Although my Barred Rock Roo is 1/2 Light Brahma mix so that's the only thing I can think of. (He LOOKS like a BR)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom