19 and a half weeks old and still no eggs :( egg countdown anyone??

Gracie and her 1 week 1 day old chicks. They didn't care for the outdoor temp very much today. First time she's had them outdoors and they spent most of their time under her.
Tried to download several pictures but this is the only one that worked, IDK why.

We are in farm land here. Was at least until developers put up cookie cutter houses all around us. Modern houses right next to fields of cows, and of course they complain, but the cows were here first.
celebrate.gif
So the cows win out.

Sadly "for now". Never seems to stay that way very long once the tract houses sprout.

Bruce

Hey, I have 3 cochin girls now laying. The one that was laying daily went broody.
hmm.png
The other two have stepped up. But I have 3 other capable girls, that are just not laying. Haven't for months and months. Then, the others are about 26 weeks and 25 weeks.... the 25 week EEs....I'm just waiting
pop.gif
and waiting
caf.gif
and waiting for some decent sized eggs. My bantams are cute, but I have customers who want regular sized eggs. C'mon girls!
fl.gif

For one split second when I saw my broody was sitting on an egg, I wanted to let her hatch them, but then my senses came back and I took it from her. Not during winter. Spring, she will hatch. And I CAN'T wait for my silkie to start laying eggs. She's my teeny tiny.

Gracie and her 1 week 1 day old chicks. They didn't care for the outdoor temp very much today. First time she's had them outdoors and they spent most of their time under her.
Tried to download several pictures but this is the only one that worked, IDK why.

They look soooo adorable, thanks

mine are like 27 weeks and still no eggs :(
4 of my pullets didn't start laying until 31 weeks if that helps. I anticipated having to wait until Spring honestly. Was thrilled when they began laying 3 weeks ago! Some of my younger pullets (same breed tho) - I had one that started laying on her own around 20 weeks. Very random because she has 2 sisters that have not yet started laying. Very random over here! LOL My ducks have been delayed too. We had 4 egg layers for a few weeks, then 6 for over a month. Then in the past couple weeks we have had 3 more duck join the egg laying party. I had two age groups for the ducks (ducks were less than a month apart in age) but they all began laying at different times. Hang in there! If you have any winter layers and are getting some decent light during the day maybe they will start laying (like mine did- I have Orps).

I'm now up to 13 eggs!. Only had 9 today but yesterday reached 13. Had 5.42 doz this week. So slowly the females are laying more eggs.

Wondering why I've 3 moulting hens? You'd think they'd moult in the HOT summer not the COLD Autumn.

wee.gif
My little Lucy, a Columbian Wyndotte, is now in the nest box. I was moving my pens around and the girls were crazy with excitement waiting to get to some new grass. By the time I had it all ready to go, little Lucy had disappeared inside. The Black Austrolorp "Gerty " has laid 3 eggs total. First egg, then I think 4 days till the second one. Then she just skipped one day till her third egg, which was yesterday. Now if Lucy completes her task I will be very close to having a full breakfast :). Having a glass of iced tea and waiting
pop.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom