19 week old RIR pullet: bubbly swollen eye. (PICS)

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
Here is Dottie's good eye. Notice the area in front of eye.

goodeye.jpg

Here is her bad eye. Notice the difference between the area in front of this eye and the previous.

swell.jpg

Here is the same eye, on 8-31.

Dottie8-31.jpg

Now here's the 'kicker' photo. Check out that swell!

perfectfaceon.jpg

Treatment thus far: Terramycin eye ointment 1X or 2X a day for past 7-10 days, +/-.

Gen Observations: She is a good forager and drinker, quite active--tho has slowed a bit maybe in last week or so.

She has had this for about 7 weeks, with no appreciable deterioration of condition. Her 3 coopmates have no similar symptoms, in spite of being with her. Sometimes the eye has no bubbles, sometimes it is pretty frothy. It varies.

There is no odor to the exudate from her eye whatsoever.

The swollen area is soft and puffy, not hard or anything. It appears to be right where the sinus is. LOOK AT DAMEROW'S 'CHX. HEALTH HANDBOOK'. HER LOCATION OF THE SINUS SEEMS TO BE THIS VERY SPOT.

My whole flock has sneezed since I got them as chicks almost 5 months ago. Now don't call this a sign of disease. Since no one has been sluggish, snot-nosed or run down at all.

Further treatment: But because of the sneeze, Dottie and the whole flock have had about two weeks of Oxine vapor treatment. No effect.

So what do you think about this eye? You'd think that her coopmates by now would be showing similar symptoms if it were a resp. disease. I am confused. I didn't quarantine her at first because I wasn't sure it was an emergency. and were it not for the swelling, I don't think i'd be very concerned even now.........

Help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did she get pecked in the eye by another chicken? My cochin had a similar problem last winter and i used the terramycin eye ointment and it cleared up. Same exact symptoms but no resp problems. The ointment worked well but she had damage to her eyeball from the peck and is now pretty much blind in that eye.

What's the dust level in your coop? Birds are "dusty" creatures due to their feathers sheathed and then "popping" free as the feathers grow amongst other reasons for their dusty living conditions. If it was a human or dog, I'd say allergic rhinitis but its a chkn...might try a bit of yogurt w/honey...

Well this may sound crazy, but, This is what we do when any of our animals including roos gets eye infections, is Take some cooled off coffee and drip it in her eye everyday till it gets better, my sisters dog just recently whent through an eye promblem they turn red really bad, so we did that and it went away in 4 days.
Give it a try.
wink.png

Well, I've done Terramycin ointment, as I mentioned and nothing has improved unfortunately.

Dust level I'm pretty sure is fairly low. no other bird similarly affected. moreover, she gets plenty of outdoor time, so.......

maybe i'll have to try coffee......

thanks

The bubbles are not a good sign. Someone suggested dlunicorns site on the other thread. There are many people on here talking about the bubbles in the eye being IB or CRD. (Infectious Bronchitis or Chronic Respiratory Disease) If you do a search for these two things I bet you find others with the same symptoms as your poor hen and maybe some good treatments. Best of Luck. Keep us posted.

Doe she have a runny nose? I treat my chickens who have had bubbles in the eyes with Sulmet. I get it at my local feed store. I would separate her and give that to her per instructions on the bottle(2 tbsp for every gallon) and give that as her only drinking source. I have had a lot of success with it...just my two cents!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom