19 weeks old flock and roo problems (need advice please)

Hey everybody, it's been longer than just a couple of weeks, but as promised, here's how it went: perfect!
The roo is a good one, vigilant, really a gentleman, not forcing himself on the hens, but still gets the job done - and the flock is peaceful. For instance, hens don't spend half their afternoons on top of the run, hiding, but rather foraging around and he's got everything under control. The naked neck Giovanna that was injured by a buzzard is of course fully integrated back and he was very gentle about that.
I'm also waiting for two of his first chicks (2 of the green eggs my - apparently- cream legbar mix laid + bought 3 english araucana and 6 black copper marans eggs) to hatch, as one of the ladies decided to go broody a bit over a week ago.

So my first experience tells me - if you have a disorderly and stressed flock because of too many roos in a fairly small flock or their adolescent temperament, keeping just one (maybe I hit a jackpot by choosing the right one this time, but everyone knows his/her own flock best and can observe the best traits or at least the ones not wanted...) is a good solution for everyone's sake.
That’s awesome!! I also had to deal with 3 horny roos on 8 hens that were not ready to be mating yet. It was not a nice thing. I now have two roosters. We would like to get rid of both of them. But if I were to keep one, it would have been the smallest one, that never got to alpha status from the very beginning.
Good choice! High five.

That’s awesome!! I also had to deal with 3 horny roos on 8 hens that were not ready to be mating yet. It was not a nice thing. I now have two roosters. We would like to get rid of both of them. But if I were to keep one, it would have been the smallest one, that never got to alpha status from the very beginning.
Good choice! High five.
Sudden change in chicken pecking-order/rooster status! All the sudden the rooster that has always been smaller (but more beautiful in my opinion) has become the Alpha rooster! Even though he’s still smaller! All the sudden the large rooster is hiding in the coop. He’s not spending time with the hens & the hens are not submitting to him when he tries to mate with them! So strange.
And now I can walk into the coop or the run, and neither of the roosters tries to attack me. So strange how sudden the change was! The Alpha rooster is now cowering in the corner & the gamma rooster is standing tall with the hens, but not attacking. Amazing.

Back
Top Bottom