19 weeks old flock and roo problems (need advice please)

Roosteria

Chirping
May 2, 2021
Hi,
I'll try to summarize what's going on in my 19 weeks old flock of chickens that were all raised together and be as short as possible, but I definitely need some advice from someone with more experience or just a reaffirmation that I'm thinking in the right direction.

There are 10 pullets and 3 cockerels (there were 4 until this week, but one went to the freezer already) in the flock, they free range during the day and basically just sleep in their coop. One of the ladies just started laying 4 days ago, laid 3 small pale pink eggs and 2-3 pullets are probably about to start laying some time soon too (their combs and wattles getting bigger and redder, they also sometimes squat if any of the roos decides to show some affection). Anyway, the problem lies in the roos, as is most often the case on this forum I believe (none of them has shown aggression towards me, the one with the white earlobes just pecked me once while moving one of the hens and he was eager to mate her.) Let's start with pics just to give a face to the culprits:

20210702_200004.jpg 20210702_200254.jpg

Roo #1 with feathered feet is a giant. He knows how to dance and how to tid bit, also very vigilant and the top one in the pecking order, but he's most often a prick towards the pullets, a bully and with his big stature he's kind of heavy on them. Similar to #2 he wants to mate all the time (turns into a monster in the morning and before bedtime).

Roo #2 is the green-tailed one with the white earlobes. The smallest but feisty. Vigorous as hell when it comes to mounting the pullets and he can chase them around for minutes (most of them are a bit too young to "know" what it's about and panic). He crows all the time, also dances and does all the other things you'd excpect from a good roo, if only he wasn't so violent when the pullets don't wanna squat for him.

These two are at the moment separated from the rest of the flock during the day (except for a short time in the morning and before dusk), because they wreak havoc, pullets in turn panic and it gets loud and really not enjoyable with their insatiable sex drive. To add extra tension to the situation my only naked neck pullet was attacked and injured by a common (european) buzzard 2 weeks ago, but she's fine now and getting reintroduced into the flock (still sleeping in her own separate little coop, but hangs out with the other ladies and roo #3 during the day, free ranging), which is also the main reason why these two guys are in the enclosure during the last 3 days - I tried reintroducing her with them being around and if I weren't there it'd be nasty, because it doesn't stop at just mounting her once. She's now terrified of these two guys and hides inside a cupboard inside her separate coop if they're near, even if they're completely separated by the hardware cloth fencing. The rest of the girls spend most of the time on the hardware cloth wire roof of their chicken run when these two are let loose too, just to get away from their constant harassment.

Roo #3 is the one with the white hackles and saddles. He crows from time to time, but less than the other two, he runs along, or maybe better put, after the other 2 roos when they're chasing hens (like trying to unsuccessfully stop the chaos), and I've seen him do the wing dance on an occassion or maybe two. I have, though, not ever seen him mount any of the girls. If they're not interested, he just leaves them alone. He is also atm the only one that can be left to hang out with the whole flock freely, including the injured naked neck (he did notice she's a "new" pullet and chased her for a few seconds, but today they spent the whole day together with no further issues).

So what I'm thinking I'd do is probably cull #1 and #2 in the near future for the pullets' sake and for finally getting some peace of mind when I'm not around them. BUT... Do you think #3 will start mounting the girls when he's the only roo, because I'd definitely like to have some fertilized eggs in the future. Have you ever had a roo that was 19 weeks old and wasn't yet showing much interest for the ladies? Is it a hierarchy thing? He does everything with them, spends most of the time around them, dirt bathing and all, but is so mellow and taking it easy (which is kind of great for a change).
It won't be the end of the world to try it this way and even if #3 (named Papá) turns out to be below my expectations, I can replace him next year with a grown up roo, but I'd rather make a good, informed decision now.

What are your thoughts - should I keep the mysterious and mellow #3 or rather maybe #2, although he atm seems mean to the girls? Any other ideas? When the pullets fully mature it will be easier anyway, I guess...

Thank you very very very much for taking your time to read the whole post if you've come this far! Will be glad to hear from all of you and I wish a lovely summer to all ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Roo #3 will start taking over roostery duties when 1 and 2 leave, but it hard to tell how he will behave once he's been promoted.
Thanks for your fast reply. I was also thinking that'd be so, although was expecting he'd step up even now with the other two enclosed (but still in vicinity). Since those two are both jerks, might be worth trying.

Thanks again!

Ok, just a short update: it's done, #1 and #2 gone and hoping for Papá to step up now. He's still kind to all of the girls and saw him mount one in the morning. The whole backyard is atm much more enjoyable (no nervous pullets, less climbing trees to get away from the roos, no screeches in panic etc., just an occasional cock-a-doodle-doo).

I'll post an update in a few weeks how it turned out, if maybe others with similar questions may find it of any value.

I was going to suggest the same solution.

Riding out the crazy teenage hormonal stage can end up with a well mannered rooster but when you've got 3 to choose from and one is already mellow, then it's a no brainer. Glad you've restored peace in your flock.

Hey everybody, it's been longer than just a couple of weeks, but as promised, here's how it went: perfect!
The roo is a good one, vigilant, really a gentleman, not forcing himself on the hens, but still gets the job done - and the flock is peaceful. For instance, hens don't spend half their afternoons on top of the run, hiding, but rather foraging around and he's got everything under control. The naked neck Giovanna that was injured by a buzzard is of course fully integrated back and he was very gentle about that.
I'm also waiting for two of his first chicks (2 of the green eggs my - apparently- cream legbar mix laid + bought 3 english araucana and 6 black copper marans eggs) to hatch, as one of the ladies decided to go broody a bit over a week ago.

So my first experience tells me - if you have a disorderly and stressed flock because of too many roos in a fairly small flock or their adolescent temperament, keeping just one (maybe I hit a jackpot by choosing the right one this time, but everyone knows his/her own flock best and can observe the best traits or at least the ones not wanted...) is a good solution for everyone's sake.

Back
Top Bottom