19 weeks old pullets - grower or layer pellets?

DettaWalker

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2020
Hi,

I've been told to feed my chickens with layer's pellets but now I read...somewhere on the internet... that you should feed them grower's pellets until they start laying. When I read the manufacturer's feeding instructions it says to switch to layer's pellets at 16 weeks though.. So now I am not sure what to do - I am holding off buying grower's pellets for now but appreciate your help.

On another note: My bluebell laid two eggs (on day 3 and on day 5, not that i am counting) since getting her, but no egg for the last 3 days. Is that normal at this age? I'd imagine so but I've heard tales of chickens who laid all but 8 eggs in their entire career before going on to live a full life of 5 years... :)

Thanks

Barbara

19 week old pullets and a bluebell has started to lay.
If it's spring where you are get some Layer feed and a 5 lb bag of Oyster Shells, or keep them on the Grower feed and a 50 lb bag of Oyster Shells.
I feed my hens a Non-Medicated 18-20% Protein Starter-Grower or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser crumble with Oyster Shells separately. GC

Last edited:
I 100% agree with @GC-Raptor . Keep them on a higher protein "all flock" type of feed with oyster shell on the side for the active layers.
If you plan to keep chickens even in part for egg production, you will likely want new pullets every year or so. Non-laying pullets don't need extra calcium. During winter molt, hens do not need the extra calcium that the layer blends offer either.
Additionally, the layer blends are formulated with 16% protein which is only the minimum recommended amount. All the commercially available feeds are based on research that was geared towards maximizing profits with a minimal expense. Protein costs the most so it will be minimized whenever feasible.
Keep the protein content in what you feed to 18-20% and you will have healthier birds.
One other piece of advice I'd like to give is to put out multiple oyster shell dispensers. They don't have to be anything fancy. I use old mixed nut jars, cut a big hole in the face and screw it to a wall then put as much oyster shell in it that it will hold.
This one has egg shells in it but I have two more just like it with oyster shells plus a 7# hanging feeder with more OS in it.
egg shell dispenser.jpg

The reason behind all these dispensers is that some pullets/hens need the constant reminders to eat it else they lay shell-less eggs.

Your layer is very new to this so it'll take a while for her to work out her schedule, work out any kinks, and for eggs to size up.

As far as feed I'd say it's up to you. If you'd like to switch to layer, they're close to old enough for it. If you like your grower feed, you can stay on that if you want instead. Or you can feed both (which is what I do, since I wanted a little more protein than layers + a little extra calcium than growers).

thanks for all the tips. I only have the layers pellets as I was told from the breeder it's what I need. But I'll look into buying the next batch with higher protein content. Yes we would like some eggs of course but the welfare is of top priority.

Will definitely try those dyi feeders. We eat a lot of nuts too so we actually have those plastic jars...!

Back
Top Bottom