1st Bobwhite incubation - lockdown today- very nervous!!!

Gallusfarm

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
I am so nervous right now. 35 bobwhite eggs in the incubator - lockdown last night. I've read everything I could on here- I really hope at least some hatch. I've seen movement in a few of the eggs through candling. I'm not going to open the incubator again. Forced air, 99.5F, upped humidity to 70%. Anything else I need to do?

Got a brooder box with a heat lamp. Want to keep them around 95F, crush the game bird starter and make sure they eat & drink. Remove from the incubator within 8 hours... This is what really worries me. What if some haven't hatched and I need to move some out. What about the humidity drop? Will it affect the others?

One other thing - the eggs are laying on their sides. Is this OK?? I know some set them upright in cartons..

Thanks for your input!

I can't wait!!!!
caf.gif
pop.gif

I hatched 54 out of 81 conturnix quail eggs yesterday,sounds like you got everything going in the right direction.looks like I got a box full of roaches here
gig.gif
my third attempt at hatching,,every hatch was 75 % or better,,BEWARE,BEWARE,,,incubating is a non-curable disease
old.gif

Quote:
I had the same anxiety as you my first time around. Don't know if you have a forced air fan and turner or not, but these two things really help the success rate go up. Sounds like you have the basics down pat... Don't worry about removal of the birds. Usually, there's a period when a majority of the bunch will hatch out in close proximity of each other (example: Out of 94 Bob eggs in my first hatching, I had 79 to hatch......and the biggest majority all hatched within a 3 hour period) Keep an eye out for what's already hatched.........see if they're dry and furry looking...........make sure no more are zipping their way out........reach in and gather them as fast as you can, and get them to the brooder. I always have a little small cardboard box (shoebox or even smaller will work) setting there by the bator, and place them in there in batches to help with process. My brooder is 5 ft. away, but it helps for an easy transfer. Beware, when they're dry and alert, they can SCOOT, and I mean SCOOT!!! Don't worry about what little humidity you lose by getting the crowd out, it recovers quicker than most realize. Just keep the humidity at least 70% from now until hatchout. (IMHO, you can't get it too high at lockdown.......I get mine in the mid 80's) But I wouldn't open the top while one just started zipping. You'll do fine...... And beware of another thing...........It's Addictive!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and advice guys! I was delighted to wake up this morning - (day 24)! to this:

36723_img_1606.jpg

They are eating and drinking a little bit. Now, to keep them alive. I've read it can be a real challenge...

Quote:
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif
Don't panic...............95º - 98º heat at some part of the boorder at first, sprinkle some "semi-crushed" Starter feed on the floor, have water available, and do the "forward" stuff you've read from there...............

Back
Top Bottom