1st broody hen and have some questions

blueskylen

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
WV
hi,

i have a Black Australorp hen that is just about 7 months old - i noticed her staying in a nest last week for 2 days, and put her out of the nest - nothing there but the golf ball. Well, she was back in the nest the next 2 days, and I couldn't keep her out of it, so I put 4 fresh eggs under her. Now I am worried that she is not eating or drinking, and don't know what to do - is this normal broody behavior? should I move her every day so she will drink/eat? Or does she get out to drink on her own, just not when I am around?
idunno.gif

thanks

She is getting up when you are not watching her. She will probably not eat a lot. And when she gets up you will get the dreaded broody poo. Pee uuuuu!!!!! Some hens will get very thin but I think nature will make her get up to eat and drink. I had one broody and I never saw her get up. She raised 3 chicks.

Just keep food, water & grit/oyster shell very near her so IF she decides to get off the nest she won't have to travel too far & in turn, cause the eggs to cool off.
smile.png
She'll be fine.

Yes I also put the food and water very close to the broody. Also I always put her in a smaller pen by herself. If yours is still in with the other hens there may be problems with others trying to lay in her nest when she gets up. Could result in broken eggs.

thanks, but now i am confused and just a bit ticked off at that chicken!

i just went out to make sure that they all had water, and here she was in ANOTHER nest, and the eggs in her original nest - that she has been sitting on for 2 days - are cool.

does that mean that they are no good now and also wont hatch?

i took her off of the second nest , and she is as light as a feather.

what to do?

smile.png
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...well at least not when you want him to. As said, leave food and water, she will drink and eat it. Also make sure she is in a place where the other hens can't lay new eggs in her nest so they will all hatch at the same time. Moving them will sometimes cause them to leave the nest though. If she takes the move, changing the eggs would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Hummm!! don't know about your eggs, depends on how long they were cool. Also are you sure she is broody? When I took mine off the nest she would gripe me out and huff and puff. Actually just thud on the ground and not want to stand up. Dumb me I thought she was sick till I figured it out. Sounds like she might be confused. Did they other nest have more eggs in it than hers. Maybe someone else was in her nest when she came back. If she is broody and you want chicks I would put her in a seperate pen with only one nest box. Much less confussion. I still think she will eat and drink on her own. I could'nt tell from the feeder that mine was eating much, but she was eating some.

The best thing to do with a broody hen is set her up in her very own brooding area. Her nest with the eggs you set, so no other hen get in a lays more. This way you know her eggs are going to hatch at about the same time. Keep water and chick starter out for her. She will get up and eat and drink as she wants to.
Your taking a chance at her eggs getting left or broke by leaving her in the coop with your other hens.
Best of luck, you have to just love the broodys.

i think she is just brainless!! I went back out, and here she was sitting it the first nest again. I just put all of the eggs from both nests under her.

i will make up a single nest area and block it off for her. put her food and water in there, and let the chips ( or chicks ) fall as they may. will monitor her feed to make sure that she is eating it.

i hope none of the others take her example - will just gather the eggs twice a day and kick their bottoms out of the nests, if they do!

Back
Top Bottom