1st egg - can I eat it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Debo's Chickens, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Debo's Chickens

Debo's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Everett, WA
    So I just got my first two eggs; one yesterday & one today.

Yesterday was exactly 3 weeks to the day since I brought them home. Is there any reason I shouldn't eat these eggs? Like if by chance they had been given some medication right before I got them, how long does one have to wait until they can eat the eggs? I don't know that they had received any medications, but I just want to be sure.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's up to you wether you want to eat them or not. I would, but that's me....I would fry them, chop them up and feed them back to the hens, if you aren't going to eat them. I know I would not allow them to go to waste. [​IMG]

bigzio

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Fried egg sandwich.

4. Debo's Chickens

Debo's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Everett, WA
    Quote:That was my idea too . . . that if I don't eat them, I could scramble them & feed to the chickens. BF thought that is the grossest thing he'd ever heard - chickens eating eggs. I told him it's quite common, a good source of protein, etc etc, but he still thought it was gross. [​IMG] Oh well for him.

I guess I could call the guy & ask him if he had given any medications. Is the withdrawl period different for different medications? What is an average?

5. clawmute

clawmute Out Of The Brooder

Usually I just eat the soft inside parts and discard the container...........

[​IMG]

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first eggs, make an omelet [​IMG]

7. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The first eggs usually aren't as big as the ones they will lay as adults, but you can still eat them. We blow our first eggs, save the shell, and eat the rest because the little tiny eggs are so cute!

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I say crack it in a small bowl first. Reason being, a NN hen laid a first egg the other day, and I had already cracked several eggs in a bowl to make a killer manhole cover sized omelette to share with everyone, and the "first egg" landed in with all those perfect ones and the yolk was kind of greyish looking and watery. Not sure how long she was working on it. I had seen her hanging out in the nest boxes for several days without laying one.... so, just to be on the safe side, don't crack it into a big bowl of good eatin' eggs. Crack it into a cereal bowl or something and evaluate it first.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i take GREAT joy in eating all my "firsts" [​IMG]

10. papadekaitlyn

papadekaitlyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by