1st Egg Today!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gysygirl, Mar 3, 2013.

1. gysygirl

gysygirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    Cornwall
    Wow.... My little tiny Call duck Bambi just laid an egg!! [​IMG] I have been worried about her since yesterday she seemed lethargic and not too interested in duckie goings on, Today I was out watching her most of the day and getting very worried she was breathing heavy and not running around with the others I checked her over and she seemed ok so thought I will have to take her to the vet's tomorrow, Then she disappeared....... after a frantic search in the pen I found her in their shed hiding in the darkest corner she came out and there it was an EGG!!! I was amazed and have to admit very proud and thrilled (and jumping around shouting it's an egg!!).... Judging how small she is and the size of the egg it's no wonder she was not feeling well it's just under the size of a medium chicken egg and about a quarter of the size of her! [​IMG] Brave little girl..

2. gysygirl

Aug 31, 2012
    Cornwall
    [​IMG]
    My Little Bambi

3. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    [​IMG]Yeah for you!!!!!!!!!! I know exactly how you feel. My Welsh Harlequin duck just started laying for the first time and her eggs are HUGE. It is a proud time; I was telling ALL of my patients :) Congrats!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She sure is pretty, Congrats on the egg.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    Bravo, Bambi!

Sometimes my runners and buffs seem a little off right around egg laying time if they are a little low on calcium. So just wanted to suggest - if you don't already - making sure she has some crushed oyster shells or other source of extra calcium. It may just be because it was her first, and so large, but wanted to head off any potential discomfort for her. She's a real looker!

6. gysygirl

Aug 31, 2012
    Cornwall
    Thanks for the Calcium pointer I will have to get them some as it's the 1st egg from any of them I've never needed it before, That may be the problem with this egg I felt it and it was soft when laid so I left it with her last night and this morning it was a deflated sack! But it was her 1st so I was not expecting much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by